VC4 Stepping Closer To Feature Parity With Original Raspberry Pi Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC4 Stepping Closer To Feature Parity With Original Raspberry Pi Driver

Phoronix: VC4 Stepping Closer To Feature Parity With Original Raspberry Pi Driver

The open-source VC4 driver stack with DRM/KMS driver and Gallium3D driver for the Raspberry Pi hardware continues stepping closer to feature parity with the original binary blob graphics driver, particularly when it comes to mode-setting related functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be nice if ARM would also get in the open drivers bandwagon. Their mali gpus have zero support and by numbers are probably even more widespread than the VC4, shame on ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
      Would be nice if ARM would also get in the open drivers bandwagon. Their mali gpus have zero support and by numbers are probably even more widespread than the VC4, shame on ARM.
      It would be, and AFAIK the devs behind it are not against doing the OSS thing. If i recall correctly, it was the (C level?) person in charge of the software development that didn't want to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

It would be, and AFAIK the devs behind it are not against doing the OSS thing. If i recall correctly, it was the (C level?) person in charge of the software development that didn't want to do it.
        It doesn't really matter who is for or against it, what counts is that there is no support. From this interview[1] it seems arm just doesn't care and throws around some good enough excuses. Intel does it, AMD does it for state of the art gpus, broadcom is doing it for VC4 and I haven't yet seen any news about the deluge of patent litigation that is talked about in the interview.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7zwFh0fWDk#t=38m40

Comment

AMD does it for state of the art gpus, broadcom is doing it for VC4
          Nope, Nope, Nope.

Intel: Yes Kernel and Userspace
          AMD: Kernel: yes, WIP Userspace: No
          NIVDIA: Nope, Nope, is somwhat turning especially for their ARM releases.
          Broadcom (VideoCore): Nope, Nope, Released some documentation => RaspberryPi foundation yes/yes (Hired Eric Anholt and )
          Qualcomm (Ardreno): Nope, Nope, Contributes a bit to freedreno => Rob Clark: Yes/Yes
          Vivante: Nope, Nope => Etnaviv yes, yes (almost mainline) (Marvell, NXO/Freescale IMX, Rockchip)
          ARM (MALI): Nope, Nope => Luc Verhaegen: Lima experimental (ARM activity scorched Luc by bulling his employer and future employers to ban him. Effectively putting without income)

I still don't get it. They sell hardware not software. If you want to sell lamp oil give away oil lamps.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon1 View Post

Nope, Nope, Nope.

Intel: Yes Kernel and Userspace
            AMD: Kernel: yes, WIP Userspace: No
            NIVDIA: Nope, Nope, is somwhat turning especially for their ARM releases.
            Broadcom (VideoCore): Nope, Nope, Released some documentation => RaspberryPi foundation yes/yes (Hired Eric Anholt and )
            Qualcomm (Ardreno): Nope, Nope, Contributes a bit to freedreno => Rob Clark: Yes/Yes
            Vivante: Nope, Nope => Etnaviv yes, yes (almost mainline) (Marvell, NXO/Freescale IMX, Rockchip)
            ARM (MALI): Nope, Nope => Luc Verhaegen: Lima experimental (ARM activity scorched Luc by bulling his employer and future employers to ban him. Effectively putting without income)

I still don't get it. They sell hardware not software. If you want to sell lamp oil give away oil lamps.
            How is AMD not supporting their GPUs with open-source drivers, when their developers make so many contributions to Mesa and the kernel, and I can run my RX480 without problems on the Mesa stack?

Comment

Working...
            X