Raspberry Pi Foundation Spins Debian+PIXEL Desktop for i386 Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Foundation Spins Debian+PIXEL Desktop for i386 Systems

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Foundation Spins Debian+PIXEL Desktop for i386 Systems

A few months back the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced the PIXEL desktop environment that is used in future versions of the Raspbian Linux distribution for the Raspberry Pi ARM SBCs. Now though they've decided to spin Debian and PIXEL for x86 systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At first glance this looks like a 90s desktop experience with more colors to my eyes …

Comment

Looks like top modern Linux from 2003.

Not that my openbox is much different... panel, wallpaper, file manager, console, text editor, web browser, etc... what else is needed
      Last edited by dungeon; 21 December 2016, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah, it's great. No blocks of uniform colour with cryptic monochrome icons and some text. No bland greyness all over. Some cheerful simple menus and icons. Might be good for reviving Atom netbooks that suffer under Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
          Yeah, it's great. No blocks of uniform colour with cryptic monochrome icons and some text. No bland greyness all over. Some cheerful simple menus and icons. Might be good for reviving Atom netbooks that suffer under Windows.
          Mine is dead last month, he was throthling for weeks... RIP

(I bought it with Ubuntu, not Windows because, you know, a few years ago you could find computer with Ubuntu in stores. That was before MS decided to resurrect the nasty XP. Now I feel old. Goodbye.)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Looks like top modern Linux from 2003.

Not that my openbox is much different... panel, wallpaper, file manager, console, text editor, web browser, etc... what else is needed
            Pervasive full-text search would be nice. I use krunner and baloo all the time. (or the search function of gnome-shell, built on tracker, when I'm on my laptop with GNOME on it)
            Pointing/clicking through menus to open files/applications sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
              Pointing/clicking through menus to open files/applications sucks.
              So put on Desktop couple most used shortcuts or if you don't like mousing around well just made keyboard shortcuts for say about 10 the most used apps here Win+W open web browser, Win+E open editor, Wind+T open terminal, Win+O opens office, etc... or if you have multimedia keys even better you might save these for something else
              Last edited by dungeon; 21 December 2016, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I like it, although it doesn't like my laptop's Broadwell graphics. Running free -m on a cold boot shows 124 MB being used, so it's fairly light by today's standards.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

So put on Desktop couple most used shortcuts or if you don't like mousing around well just made keyboard shortcuts for say about 10 the most used apps here Win+W open web browser, Win+E open editor, Wind+T open terminal, Win+O opens office, etc... or if you have multimedia keys even better you might save these for something else
                  How does that help me quickly find one of my >5000 tracks of music that I'd like to listen to at the moment? Or that one PDF with a paper (that I only know the title of, but not the book it's contained in) relevant to the essay I'm writing?
                  Also, both desktop space and easily reachable/memorizable shortcuts are limited. I also hate managing icons/shortcuts, because it's tedious while text search is automatic. Not to mention I have to leave my current application to see the desktop …

Not everyone has to work the way I do, but I quite like my kinds of setups from the last half year.

Comment

So just install that baloo and use it ... Remember this is for low memory machines by default, if you have plenty of memory you are free to go crazy with various services of course, but afterwards

To understand design, just imagine first RPi with 256 MB RAM total, of whose as minimaly 32 MB go to fb graphic, for minimum 3D raise that to 64 MB max 128 MB, some even switched there to 16bit depth to save mamory... so only 128 MB are for the everything else which is already eaten, but you even wanna services there

It is Debian anyway, like bison mention some prob with Broadwell... whatever the problem is, it is probably easely solvable by switching to backports repo for some packages, kernel 4.8 is there, mesa 12, intel ddx one month old checkout, etc...
                    Last edited by dungeon; 21 December 2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X