Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS Client Updates For The Linux 4.10 Kernel

Phoronix: NFS Client Updates For The Linux 4.10 Kernel

For users of the Network File System, there are more NFS client updates coming in the Linux 4.10 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what NFS is mostly being used for these days. I used to use it for serving files on the local network at home, but now I replaced that functionality with NextCloud, which is quite straight-forward for clients.

I am also using it for compatibility with Windows 7 in an education setting, of all things. Because all programs for SSHFS are terrible and Samba ports are blocked because of Windows malware. But Win7 only supports NFSv3 and nothing further, and that with deficiencies...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      I wonder what NFS is mostly being used for these days. I used to use it for serving files on the local network at home, but now I replaced that functionality with NextCloud, which is quite straight-forward for clients.

I am also using it for compatibility with Windows 7 in an education setting, of all things. Because all programs for SSHFS are terrible and Samba ports are blocked because of Windows malware. But Win7 only supports NFSv3 and nothing further, and that with deficiencies...
      You can try the UMich NFS 4.1 client that works on Windows 7. I've used it in the past and it's been a while. I think it was a pain for me to get setup but that might have been my own fault as I was not very familiar with NFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
        You can try the UMich NFS 4.1 client that works on Windows 7. I've used it in the past and it's been a while. I think it was a pain for me to get setup but that might have been my own fault as I was not very familiar with NFS.
        I know about it, but I don't care much for it (since I'd have to clear it through the IT department etc.).

Comment

I am more intrested in 9p than NightmareFS these days. With Linux extensions being added to 9p2000, I don't see why it isn't an obvious successor for file sharing.

Comment

I can't live without NFS.

Comment

When will the merge window close?
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I can't live without NFS.
                I agree. It's the only thing that gets me anywhere near 110MB/s on typical 1Ghtz ethernet. Nothing else comes close.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

You probably know that Cloud stuff doesn't come even close to solving the same problems? Maybe for basic users, but how about stable network shares for system services or remotely storing stuff like 50MB RAW images in a 10 gigabit network?

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post

I agree. It's the only thing that gets me anywhere near 110MB/s on typical 1Ghtz ethernet. Nothing else comes close.
                    I get a pretty regular and steady 70 - 90 MB/s from SMB3. Windows 10 to 10 and Windows 10 to Samba.

Comment

Working...
                    X