No announcement yet.

31-Way NVIDIA GeForce / AMD Radeon Linux OpenGL Comparison - End-Of-Year 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31-Way NVIDIA GeForce / AMD Radeon Linux OpenGL Comparison - End-Of-Year 2016

Phoronix: 31-Way NVIDIA GeForce / AMD Radeon Linux OpenGL Comparison - End-Of-Year 2016

Last week I published some fresh AMD Linux 4.9 + Mesa 13.1-dev benchmarks on many different AMD Radeon GPUs going all the way back to the Radeon HD 4800 series days. Today those numbers are being complemented by an extensive NVIDIA GeForce Fermi / Kepler / Maxwell / Pascal comparison to make up a 31-way NVIDIA/AMD Linux OpenGL performance comparison. If you are curious how the NVIDIA and AMD Linux performance is with the very latest drivers and going back several hardware generations, this holiday article is for you.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does the open source amd have more cpu overhead? I'm running an amd phenom ii (from 2008) with a 270x and it struggles to get to 60 fps in tf2. It always ran like that with different distros and updates over the years. Proprietary amd or nvidia things work much better.

Comment

Michael, would you re-run the CSGO tests? It did have a hang when loading the game, but that was fixed yesterday.
      The only problem now is when zooming into a few rifles, but the driver totally recovers itself.

Comment

amd radeonsi is getting very good

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
          Does the open source amd have more cpu overhead? I'm running an amd phenom ii (from 2008) with a 270x and it struggles to get to 60 fps in tf2. It always ran like that with different distros and updates over the years. Proprietary amd or nvidia things work much better.
          If i run Xonotic benchmark first time i get 30% less fps then when i run it second time... and i actually found this is due sound card it happens only there it seems. Now i disable sound driver totaly to OS does not see it and both runs has same fps! There it goes 40% faster than first run and just 5% faster than second run when sound is enabled, etc...

He, he, this just as example as not all slowness is due to GPU driver and first run is not always good representative
          Last edited by dungeon; 22 December 2016, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Why does the GTX 960 have the same framerate on both 1080p and 4K in Metro : Last Light redux? It's horribly slow behind the 760. There's probably a bug or a regression around.

Comment

What's with the 480 getting behind the 470 in some tests?

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                Michael, would you re-run the CSGO tests? It did have a hang when loading the game, but that was fixed yesterday.
                The only problem now is when zooming into a few rifles, but the driver totally recovers itself.
                i get the same problem with some of the rifles atm, but i crash hard when i zoom in, has made the game unplayable for me ;[

Comment

Originally posted by talonzx View Post
                  i get the same problem with some of the rifles atm, but i crash hard when i zoom in, has made the game unplayable for me ;[
                  Maybe it's just a new hardcore mode? NoScope FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by typerrrrrrrr View Post

Maybe it's just a new hardcore mode? NoScope FTW!
                    it definately makes you a better player when you got a scope with no sights

Comment

Working...
                    X