Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Eyes Automatic Updates For New Installations

Phoronix: Debian Eyes Automatic Updates For New Installations

Debian developers are currently weighing the prospects of enabling automatic updates on new Debian GNU/Linux installations by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Automatic updates is what people love the most about Windows 10. Everyone I have spoken to wants to be on Windows 10 because of automatic updates. Then you can feel safe and secure and don't worry about a thing because with automatic updates nothing can go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom View Post
      Automatic updates is what people love the most about Windows 10. Everyone I have spoken to wants to be on Windows 10 because of automatic updates. Then you can feel safe and secure and don't worry about a thing because with automatic updates nothing can go wrong.
      What you think about Windows XP? Linux can't still beat long dead horse

So it is not about automatic really, well with this XP in mind it is not even about support... it must about that people are lazy and crazy

Comment

I think my sarcasm detector overflowed so much times that my overflow counter has overflown.

Comment

Windows 10 is a proof that people are so stupid that they will accept everyting that comes on the pipe and showeved down their throats.

I will never upgrade tho this bullshit OS and on Windows 7 I turned off the updates completely.
          I will never use any OS which have only automatic updates, I prefer to update manually once in a while.
          Automatic updates nowadays looks like the movie I, Robot (2004), but without the robots.

Comment

The auto updating of Windows is annoying as .... When I reboot from Linux to Windows for a game I first have to wait 20 mins till Windows is finished doing "it's" thing. Instead of doing what I want/need the OS decides it has to do stuff on it's own. I actually hate it when a computer does things I, as user, haven't asked it to do. Automatic updates would make me stay far away from Debian. This must be their worst idea since systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
              Instead of doing what I want/need the OS decides it has to do stuff on it's own. I actually hate it when a computer does things I, as user, haven't asked it to do. Automatic updates would make me stay far away from Debian.
              If you like to be asked, then just use expert install mode - there you will be asked if you want this or not ... among many other additional installation questions average lazy Joe does not usually care about
              Last edited by dungeon; 24 December 2016, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMachine View Post
                The auto updating of Windows is annoying as .... When I reboot from Linux to Windows for a game I first have to wait 20 mins till Windows is finished doing "it's" thing. Instead of doing what I want/need the OS decides it has to do stuff on it's own. I actually hate it when a computer does things I, as user, haven't asked it to do. Automatic updates would make me stay far away from Debian. This must be their worst idea since systemd.
                Are you freakin high? Automatic updates is only a good thing provided it is handled right. All we need is option to control this behavior - skip updates when we want to. How can you write off a good security feature as "worst decision ever" simply because someone else did it wrong and sometimes it is bit inconvenient. Oh wait, your remark regarding systemd explains everything.

Comment

Automatic updates on windows 10 are much faster than from windows vista to 8.1. But the article says automatic upgrades, which one is it?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    Automatic updates on windows 10 are much faster than from windows vista to 8.1. But the article says automatic upgrades, which one is it?
                    " unattended-upgrades" is the name of the tool doing this work, it will update packages, not do distro upgrades. see here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ecurityUpdates

Comment

Working...
                    X