Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lineage: Forking CyanogenMod To A New Android Distribution

Phoronix: Lineage: Forking CyanogenMod To A New Android Distribution

Some unfortunate news to hear this Christmas is that Cyanogen Inc is shutting down their infrastructure behind the popular CyanogenMod fork of Google's Android operating system while a new fork is emerging. Lineage, Hello World!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was wondering why my xperia stopped receiving updates, which were plentiful thus far. Well, i guess now i know.

Comment

LineageOS.org - I just wish they would have picked a cooler name.

Next we'll have F.A.R.T.

Friendly Android Ring of Technologists

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        LineageOS.org - I just wish they would have picked a cooler name.

Next we'll have F.A.R.T.

Friendly Android Ring of Technologists
        Lineage sounds pretty cool to me; not sure how it's even remotely comparable to F.A.R.T.

Comment

Fine, but what happened with CM? Financial difficulties? Or attrition amongst the dev team?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Lineage sounds pretty cool to me; not sure how it's even remotely comparable to F.A.R.T.
            In all fairness GIMP would be a better comparison, to me Lineage = Of the Loins (nutsack) -- yeah sorry that analogy works too well, oh well. at least it's not called L.I.M.P.

Luminescent Image Merge Program :P

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
              Fine, but what happened with CM? Financial difficulties? Or attrition amongst the dev team?
              Plenty happened. They wanted android manufacturers to switch from shipping their own android installations to shipping Cyanogen OS instead. A few smaller manufacturers did but the big ones obviously didn't. I suppose they didn't find it profitable to continue like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                It happened what I said from the beginning (and people mocked me): they had no business case. Without the ability to control/supply device drivers, all they could do was lipstick on a pig.
                And after signing an exclusive deal with OnePlus and then another one with that Indian maker, it's no wonder people stopped giving them any business.

Comment

Linage? I remember that! It's a NCsoft MMO Game were talkin' about, right? ^^ The one that turned bad.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It happened what I said from the beginning (and people mocked me): they had no business case. Without the ability to control/supply device drivers, all they could do was lipstick on a pig.
                    Plus, their CEO said some stupid things. And they started shipping with Microsoft apps instead of the Google ones (GApps) that everyone is used to. CyanogenMod is awesome, but Cyanogen (or Cyngn?!?) went to shit.

Comment

Working...
                    X