Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Enables "Complex Text Layout" By Default

Phoronix: LibreOffice Enables "Complex Text Layout" By Default

The latest LibreOffice news just days after announcing their MUFFIN user interface initiative is enabling the program's complex text layout mode by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ok libreoffice, now add all menu commands to a searchable dropdown that can be activated by hotkey

would be something new to give them a edge instead of always chasing after 2nd place.

MS Word wonr be king for much longer with all the competition going on.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      ok libreoffice, now add all menu commands to a searchable dropdown that can be activated by hotkey
      You mean what we have on Ubuntu using HUD? Yes please! I would love to see this feature on other desktops as well. And not only for LO, but also for Gimp, evince, thunderbird, etc etc.
      Thanks to HUD being a system-wide feature of Unity, I have it on all my desktop apps on Ubuntu, and I use it all the time.

Comment

Wow, what a nice Xmas surprise! After all the bug reports and rants and networking to get this feature, I thought it would never happen. Very well done Khaled Hosny.

Without having this enabled, LibreOffice is literally useless out-of-the-box for CTL scripts. And the process to enable it anything but intuitive. Now I see that I wrote a blog post on 2008 just to explain this problem:
        پس از نصب اپن‌آفیس، یک کار بسیار مهم (و البته بسیار ساده) را نباید فراموش کنید: تنظیم اپن‌آفیس برای کار با زبان فارسی. برای این کار از منوی Tools گزینهٔ Options را برگزینید. به شکل زیر خوب نگاه کنی…

Comment

Originally posted by amp3030 View Post
          Now I see that I wrote a blog post on 2008 just to explain this problem:
          https://goo.gl/wNkV7M
          Blog posts don't fix issues. LibreOffice just needed a developer from that region. Now that Khaled's onboard, he's fixed an enormous number of CTL issues. If you want to truly help, then sponsor a Bounty Source/Freedom Sponsors or donate to TDF.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

Blog posts don't fix issues. LibreOffice just needed a developer from that region. Now that Khaled's onboard, he's fixed an enormous number of CTL issues. If you want to truly help, then sponsor a Bounty Source/Freedom Sponsors or donate to TDF.
            Fair enough. I think I have made monetary contributions before. Next I would like to get involved in coding, and I actually have some new CTL bugs to work on.

Comment

Hebrew, Thai, Arabic, and Hindi
              Neat, that's what, more than 2 billion people right there?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Neat, that's what, more than 2 billion people right there?
                probably close to 3 billion.

Comment

While speakers of languages which require CTL are a big part of the world population, they are a small part of the PC user/Internet population. So it is hardly surprising that CTL support was not a priority for LibreOffice.

Among the top 10 languages only Arabic (4.7% of Internet users) uses CTL.

Comment

CTL can sometimes also give better text layout for latin scripts by enabling complex ligatures shaped glyphs and advanced kerning. Though the results are often easy to miss.

Comment

Working...
                    X