Fedora Linux Had A Heck Of A Year, Finally Hitting Wayland-By-Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux Had A Heck Of A Year, Finally Hitting Wayland-By-Default

Phoronix: Fedora Linux Had A Heck Of A Year, Finally Hitting Wayland-By-Default

This year was quite the year for Red Hat's Fedora Linux distribution with the successful launches of Fedora 24 and 25, the later including Wayland-by-default with the Fedora 25 Workstation release atop GNOME 3.22...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu should just adopt Wayland and ditch Mir already, they will end up doing that anyway later, just as they did with Upstart in favor of systemd.

Comment

I really want to use wayland but the mouse issue and the crashes really kill it for me .

Comment

I tried fedora 25 and i'm not very satisfied. dnf graphical package manager is slow as hell and user unfriendly. Gnome software is useless and buggy.
        I probably will return to manjaro

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
          I tried fedora 25 and i'm not very satisfied. dnf graphical package manager is slow as hell and user unfriendly. Gnome software is useless and buggy.
          I probably will return to manjaro
          There are many Fedora spins with KDE, LXDE and pretty much whatever you could want. I usually does not sue the GUI for installing programs. however I tried to sue them to see the flatpak integration, returned to the cli. Very sluggish de gnome software.
          What make the dnf/flatpak unfriendly?

Comment

The importance of getting the ecosystem off X11 and on top of Wayland simply cannot be underestimated ! There are people still out there that actually believe X11 is somehow good, its pure madness if they only actually knew..

Comment

why not a poll on Ubuntu forums to see how many users would like to see wayland landing in their system?
              ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
                dnf graphical package manager is slow as hell and user unfriendly.
                Which graphical package manager? Yumex-dnf, Apper or Gnome-Packagekit?

Gnome software is useless and buggy.
                Gnome Software is intended to install/remove graphical applications and add-ons with appstream requirement by default. The targeted audience is ordinary users. I daily run Gnome Software with little issues on Fedora 25. To resolve issues you encountered, would you file a report?

Comment

Wayland environment on Fedora still have a way to go, for some obscure reason wayland ignore user's shell profile files. For mainly UI users this would not be issue, but if you want to work in terminal you're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
                    Wayland environment on Fedora still have a way to go, for some obscure reason wayland ignore user's shell profile files. For mainly UI users this would not be issue, but if you want to work in terminal you're screwed.
                    A bit dramatic given that I do work in the terminal and everything works fine for me. Have you filed a bug for your particular use-case? These don't sound like Wayland bugs, they sound like special use-cases of the desktop manager (Gnome in this case).. Hardly enough to say "have a way to go" or "your screwed".

Comment

Working...
                    X