Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway i3-Compatible Wayland Compositor Ends Out 2016 With v0.11

Phoronix: Sway i3-Compatible Wayland Compositor Ends Out 2016 With v0.11

A new release of the Sway Wayland Compositor is now available, which continues as an i3-compatible Wayland solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love i3, it's really easy to use and very customizable.

That great to know that I'll be able to use it even when X11 will be drop everywhere.
    I don't really like the gap we can see in the screen-shoot but I guess this will be corrected in a near future

Comment

What about being way cooler?

Way Cooler is a customizable tiling window manager written in Rust (+Lua) for Wayland.

It's like i3 (same tiling stile) + Awesome (usage of Lua for configuration and customization) + more. It looks quite promising too!

v0.4.0 was released Nov 25, before Sway. They seem to release less often (4 months vs 2 months), but both are at very early development stages so WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE FUTURE!

Current Features
      • i3-style tiling
        • Horizontal/vertical layouts
        • Nest containers with different layouts
        • Floating windows per workspace
      • Client application support via the D-Bus IPC
        • See an example application here. It displays the tree in a somewhat organized format, and is actually really helpful for both debugging the tree and understanding how subcontainers work.
        • Enables dynamic configuration at runtime, without having to reload a configuration file
        • Allows extensions of the window manager to exist as separate programs talking over the IPC
      • A Lua environment designed to make extending Way Cooler simple and easy
        • Lua is the configuration format, allowing the user to enhance their window manager in any way they want.
        • Utilities library included to aid communicating with Way Cooler
      • X programs supported through XWayland

Planned Features
      • i3 tabbed/stacked tiling
      • Tiling window through configurable Lua scripts (awesome-style)
      • Server-side borders around window clients
      • Swappable status bars/docs/menus
        • A status bar built with Conrod and Lua
      • More customization settings

Follow the development of these features in our issues section or checkout our contribution guidelines if you want to help out.
      Another interesting project is flis, but it's in even more early stages. Taiwins seems interesting too, despite of it's Engrish and very early age.

Comment

Working...
      X