Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Mobile Explores Switch To AOSP From CyanogenMod

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Mobile Explores Switch To AOSP From CyanogenMod

Given the fall of CyanogenMod, it appears KDE Plasma Mobile developers are looking at switching its phone/mobile base operating system over to the upstream Android Open-Source Project (AOSP)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cyanogenmod/lineageos adds tons of fixes/workarounds/driver updates which you will never find in AOSP. Please think carefully about it.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

What about the Mer project as a base (http://merproject.org/). It what is under Tizan and Sailfish; and appears to already be QT based.

I assume Mer can run Android apps and use Andriod drivers, like Sailfish can.

I am only suggesting this for consideration, I don't think I know enough about Android, Lineage, ASOP or Mer to be able to make a qualified recommendation.

I just don't think Andriod (and those derived from it) are a stable foundation for open source software. I hope Mer could be better, but there is nothing to prove that the companies behind Mer would behave any better than Google, once they reach market dominance.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Cyanogenmod/lineageos adds tons of fixes/workarounds/driver updates which you will never find in AOSP. Please think carefully about it.
        I'd mostly want them to continue on with Lineage because CM is compatible with hundreds of devices whereas AOSP only supports Google phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
          I assume Mer can run Android apps and use Andriod drivers, like Sailfish can.
          You assumed wrong. Sailfish uses a proprietary android -> sailfish translation layer that they have licensed from a 3rd party.

Comment

i just when looking for AOSP builds for my (ancient) Sony Xperia Z and found that there is relatively recent builds. awesome!

Comment

Are there any pic of mobile provided of KDE Plasma?

Comment

Working...
              X