Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Development Pace Of Systemd Fell Sharply This Year

Phoronix: The Development Pace Of Systemd Fell Sharply This Year

With systemd having the most commits ever in 2015 for this project, I was curious to see how the statistics for 2016 compared... To some surprise, the number of commits to systemd fell sharply and the code churn is also down to a point not seen in a few years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stupid Question:
    Is it always better to have more commits than previous year?

Comment

Wait. systemd since 2003?

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
        Stupid Question:
        Depends on the situation. For systemd, I would argue no, because that means less stupid crap being put in there that doesn't need to be put in. It can also suggest there aren't as many bugs to iron out. As long as the drop in development isn't due to external influences (such as a developer being sick, dead, occupied, lazy, etc) then it can be a good thing.
        Meanwhile for something like the Linux kernel, a drop in commits could be a concern. There is always room for improvement, there are plenty of drivers to be implemented, and so on.

Comment

I agree that it's a sign that the project is maturing. It will mellow for a few years, then it will be time for a new init system.

Comment

Considering how this is a critical part of a Linux system, I think they should go into a soft feature freeze period for around a year and just fix bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
              I agree that it's a sign that the project is maturing. It will mellow for a few years, then it will be time for a new init system.
              That time can't possibly come soon enough imo.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That time can't possibly come soon enough imo.
                For the moment, I don't really see anything in the land of Linux that will supplant systemd.
                Not for the many benefits that it does give the user, and I get the feeling that anything that attempts to supplant it will likely have to take that into consideration.
                I honestly doubt that one will materialize until it is likely that they can replicate most (if not all) of those said benefits.

Comment

For my taste, they concetrate far too much on that container stuff and far too little on everything else. Like really efficient logging infrastructure. Or networkd that would be worth more than a pile of crap etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                    Stupid Question:
                    only if you want faster development

Comment

Working...
                    X