Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 2.0 Is Looking Like It Will Be A Late January Release

Phoronix: Wine 2.0 Is Looking Like It Will Be A Late January Release

Alexandre Julliard had been issuing weekly release candidates of Wine 2.0 but given the holidays, he's skipping this week but has provided a status update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is unfortunate that so much of wine's focus is games and visuals. I would be interested to know the state of USB support on wine. The last time I tried wine, USB support was extremely rough, and not really usable. For many individuals who don't have much of a need for games or visual dazzle, an out-of-the box working USB would be the missing piece of the puzzle. It would finally allow us to dump real windows completely.

Comment

Originally posted by mtg5 View Post
      It would finally allow us to dump real windows completely.
      True, it would allow me to update the Android version of my LG phone without needing to install windows to use their update program

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

True, it would allow me to update the Android version of my LG phone without needing to install windows to use their update program
        Ideally there should be a FOSS tool for updating or modifying all Android devices, but this segmented ecosystem is a total mess :/

I always tought of Wine as a last option, not the main one. It seems Codeweavers aren't making this change, but just interested in their OUTDATED and condemned to disappear half-proprietary development model.

Comment

Originally posted by mtg5 View Post
          It is unfortunate that so much of wine's focus is games and visuals.
          That’s where the demand is. Every time I hear objections about switching to Linux these days, the number one complaint is lack of support for games.

Comment

If they can't fix the MSXML 5.0 issue in MS Office 2003/2010, then it doesn't mean much since I don't game. However, I have Adobe Photoshop Elements working on it quite well (since I don't use GIMP). The 1.9 updates have improved load times.

Comment

Working...
            X