Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skylake Iris Pro Graphics: Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Antergos, Clear Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylake Iris Pro Graphics: Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Antergos, Clear Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: Skylake Iris Pro Graphics: Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Antergos, Clear Linux Benchmarks

For those craving some more end-of-year Linux distribution benchmarks, this morning I finished carrying out a fresh Linux distro comparison focusing upon the Intel OpenGL performance when making use of "Skylake" Iris Pro hardware. For this New Year's Eve benchmarking fun was Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Antergos, and Clear Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OT: Was R9 290 4.7+ regression:
    Where is the update on your R9 290 (Ubuntu firmware update to latest Radeon firmware)?

Happy New Year!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Skylake Iris Pro Graphics: Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Antergos, Clear Linux Benchmarks

For those craving some more end-of-year Linux distribution benchmarks, this morning I finished carrying out a fresh Linux distro comparison focusing upon the Intel OpenGL performance when making use of "Skylake" Iris Pro hardware. For this New Year's Eve benchmarking fun was Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Antergos, and Clear Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ro-Distro-2016
      Great stuff, Michael! I have one of these Skull Canyon NUCs and I can't keep it turned on for more than a few minutes (on any kernel version). What memory modules are you using? I have two Samsung 950 pro M.2s in it, an I see you're using the same part, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Update: Nevermind, I was able to read the module stocking number out of the image. Happy new year's eve. :- )
      Last edited by microcode; 31 December 2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Strange. My Fedora 25 LiveImage will not boot on the NUC6i7KYK. I get: mmc0: Unknown controller version(3), you may experience problems.
        Then the boot hangs. Apparently, it's and SD card reader issue. Still researching for a solution. I love the Intel response:

In regard to your inquiry I just wanted to let you know that Intel does not test and validate IntelĀ® NUC on Linux, all the tests were done using Windows, however we know that a lot of NUC owners are using it successfully on many different Linux distros, and as you mentioned the fact that the NUC works fine with Windows it means that the hardware is working fine and this problem is directly related to Ubuntu,

Based on that the best thing to do at this point will to access your Linux distro's website and forums for further peer assistance with this issue at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Let me apologize for any inconvenience, but to get the most accurate Ubunto support please use those forums, in there you should fins a work a around or different suggestions in order to install Ubunto.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

Comment

I am using Linux Funtoo (Gentoo) without any problems on a NUC6i7KYK2. All works perfectly fine (I have not tried to use Thunderbolt 3 yet, as I do not have any peripheral that needs it). I am using 32 GB of KIngston DDR4 2133 (two KVR21S15D8/16) and a 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro.

The Linux kernel is compiled from source (gentoo-sources). The oldest version that I have used was some 4.6 variant.

In order to install a customized Linux distribution like Gentoo/Funtoo on any computer with a blank SSD, one needs a bootable live Linux USB flash memory image. I have used the live image provided by Arch Linux, which usually includes recent kernel versions (more recent than other easily available Linux distributions), so it is unlikely to refuse to boot on new hardware. I have not encountered any problem in Linux with the Skull Canyon NUC yet, but I suppose that kernel versions that are too old, or that lack some options, can have problems.

Comment

Working...
          X