Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Clear Linux Is Working On Steam Support

Phoronix: Intel's Clear Linux Is Working On Steam Support

For those planning to do Linux gaming with Intel graphics hardware, you might soon have a new choice with the performance-oriented Clear Linux distribution out of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Once the Steam support is in good standing, I'll surely be firing up some benchmarks on Clear Linux to see how it compares to alternatives.
    Which alternatives? Most binary distros are not specilized like this but generic, only alternative to this would be your own LFS, Gentoo... maybe some custom apt-build world plus patched Ubuntu, etc... Or distros like Solus OS, i think they already taken some patches from Clear Linux.

Comment

Finally, this should have been #1 priority. Gaming benchmarks have large PR impact, also, I hope they will hack up Steam for good (more than just forcing native libraries) as there is no point in using Steam on Clear Linux if it is allowed to use its bundled libs anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        also, I hope they will hack up Steam for good (more than just forcing native libraries) as there is no point in using Steam on Clear Linux if it is allowed to use its bundled libs anyway.
        Why not stop hoping much, blob games are not free stranghtforward perf everywhere approach If not steam runtime libriaries, also many games itself uses bundled libriaries so you won't see perf advantage every time

It is nice they do base system optimizations for specific hardware, but other than that there is not much to hope for.
        Last edited by dungeon; 31 December 2016, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Excellent: the first linux operating system optimized for gaming. I'm waiting for native opengl games.

Comment

Speculative mode on/

Could be that Valve is asking then to make way to a SteamOS move from Debian to Clear?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              many games itself uses bundled libriaries so you won't see perf advantage every time
              That's why I said "more than just forcing native libraries". That can be done by anyone already.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Most binary distros are not specialized like this but generic, only alternative to this would be your own LFS, Gentoo...
                I doubt it's as simple as setting CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native", applying a few patches and viola Clear Linux performance with AMD/older Intel system. If it were that simple, wouldn't one of the boutique distros done it by now?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  Speculative mode on/

Could be that Valve is asking then to make way to a SteamOS move from Debian to Clear?
                  They don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                    I doubt it's as simple as setting CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native", applying a few patches and viola Clear Linux performance with AMD/older Intel system.
                    I doubt't that too This takes advantage of specific intructions found in HSW+ hardware only.

If it were that simple, wouldn't one of the boutique distros done it by now?
                    Yeah it is that simple or It is much more simplier than maintain for diversive hardware... you know you just apply patch and don't care about else ("works for me, but not for you as i don't care about you" sounds already easier isn't it) it is much harder to do same on generic distros, where it is required of course to also care about older
                    Last edited by dungeon; 31 December 2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X