Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDevelop 5.1 Beta 1 Released With LLDB Debugger Support

Phoronix: KDevelop 5.1 Beta 1 Released With LLDB Debugger Support

For those using KDevelop as the KDE-centric integrated development environment, version 5.1 Beta 1 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those using KDevelop as the KDE-centric integrated development environment, version 5.1 Beta 1 is now available for testing...
    While we all agree KDevelop is an open-source project developed under the KDE umbrella I'd like to stress that KDevelop is in no way KDE-centric or "only usable within an KDE" environment. I just want to make sure there's no wrong impression about which environments KDevelop can be used in. KDevelop has always been working fine under other Linux desktop environments other than KDE's Plasma, since the beginning.

Last but not least: Since KDevelop 5 there's been some major efforts into trying to make KDevelop work on other platforms such as Windows and OS X, too, thus the term KDE-centric does not really apply anymore. We have users that use KDevelop on Windows just for working on Python code, for instance. Other people work on C/C++-only projects under Windows.

Hope that helps,
    Kevin (on behalf of the KDevelop team)

Comment

Originally posted by kfunk View Post

While we all agree KDevelop is an open-source project developed under the KDE umbrella I'd like to stress that KDevelop is in no way KDE-centric or "only usable within an KDE" environment. I just want to make sure there's no wrong impression about which environments KDevelop can be used in. KDevelop has always been working fine under other Linux desktop environments other than KDE's Plasma, since the beginning.

Last but not least: Since KDevelop 5 there's been some major efforts into trying to make KDevelop work on other platforms such as Windows and OS X, too, thus the term KDE-centric does not really apply anymore. We have users that use KDevelop on Windows just for working on Python code, for instance. Other people work on C/C++-only projects under Windows.

Hope that helps,
      Is KDevelop's C++ support still CMake centric? Last time I played with it years ago QMake was basically unsupported, which makes it a pain for several projects I've worked on (and no they're not going to be converted to CMake, sorry they don't need the extra complexity CMake brings over QMake). If it's still unsupported, then I would recommend developing support to import QMake projects, and since you're going crossplatform you mights as well support Visual Studio Projects too

Comment

Since the KDevelop 5.0 release we support QMake as another project manager. The support is simplistic but it covers the basic use case you encounter with QMake: Being able to reconfigure the build, use a different qmake binary, pass different arguments to QMake, etc. pp.. You can find a bit of information about QMake here: http://kfunk.org/2016/08/23/whats-new-in-kdevelop-5-0/ -- it's kept short unfortunately.

KDevelop's C++ is not CMake centric either, it can be used on pure Makefiles-based projects as well. Or with projects not having a build system at all. There's just one thing the C/C++ language support plugin in KDevelop needs to know in order to be helpful when it comes to code browsing, code completion, etc.: the right compiler flags. KDevelop needs to know the set of include paths & defines a particular C++ header/source needs in order to be able to parse the file correctly -- but all that can be configured manually in the project settings in KDevelop as well!

So in fact, you can have proper C++ support in KDevelop without even using one of the build systems mentioned.

Comment

Hope that helps,
          Maybe they chose the name poorly, then?... As it seems extremely misleading...

Comment

Since the KDevelop 5.0 release we support QMake as another project manager. The support is simplistic but it covers the basic use case you encounter with QMake: Being able to reconfigure the build, use a different qmake binary, pass different arguments to QMake, etc. pp.. You can find a bit of information about QMake here: http://kfunk.org/2016/08/23/whats-new-in-kdevelop-5-0/ -- it's kept short unfortunately.

KDevelop's C++ is not CMake centric either, it can be used on pure Makefiles-based projects as well. Or with projects not having a build system at all. There's just one thing the C/C++ language support plugin in KDevelop needs to know in order to be helpful when it comes to code browsing, code completion, etc.: the right compiler flags. KDevelop needs to know the set of include paths & defines a particular C++ header/source needs in order to be able to parse the file correctly -- but all that can be configured manually in the project settings in KDevelop as well!

So in fact, you can have proper C++ support in KDevelop without even using one of the build systems mentioned.
            Cool, thanks, clicking around on that it looks like the stability issues are also solved, So I guess I'll try it and see once 5.1 is properly released, and we'll see if I like it enough to switch, or I stick with QtCreator.

Comment

I've certainly in enjoyed using the Qt 5 KDevelop (currently 5.0.3) - for a little C++ coding... It's got a nice and intuitive interface. IMHO it's got a much less "fuggly" interface than QtCreator - especially if you're not using any Qt libraries...

But I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking it's a KDE-based application. It's even got the "About KDE" menu entry after alll...

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                But I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking it's a KDE-based application. It's even got the "About KDE" menu entry after alll...
                KDE in this context is a software vendor.

It produced, among other things, libraries for Qt application developers and Qt based applications.
                One of which is an IDE called KDevelop.

So, IMHO, unsurpringly there is some mentioning of the producer of the software within the software's user interface.

Seems pretty standard actually: I am pretty sure of having seen "Adobe" being mentioned in some of their products, also vaguely remembering the name "Microsoft" appearing in some of theirs.

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                  KDE in this context is a software vendor.

It produced, among other things, libraries for Qt application developers and Qt based applications.
                  One of which is an IDE called KDevelop.

So, IMHO, unsurpringly there is some mentioning of the producer of the software within the software's user interface.

Seems pretty standard actually: I am pretty sure of having seen "Adobe" being mentioned in some of their products, also vaguely remembering the name "Microsoft" appearing in some of theirs.
                  That's exactly the point. KDE is the vendor of the software, and provides the libraries and infrastructure used to develop it; but KDevelop is not specifically designed neither for use together /with/ other KDE products such as plasma, nor is it specifically designed /for/ development of KDE applications. Both happens to work great and is well within the intended scope, but that doesn't mean the scope is in any way limited to (or even focused on) that.

Comment

Working...
                  X