Inkscape 0.92 Released As A Big Update For This Vector Drawing Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape 0.92 Released As A Big Update For This Vector Drawing Program

Phoronix: Inkscape 0.92 Released As A Big Update For This Vector Drawing Program

It's been about one year since the last Inkscape release while now available is version 0.92 as a relatively big update to this open-source vector drawing program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad Inkscape 0.92 still uses Gtk 2 and haven't switched over to Gtk 3 yet. This is planned though.

Comment

The previous version (0.91) was released in january 2015 I think, this is rather "two years ago".

Comment

Yes, slow release cycle, but still very welcome. I hope though that there are some performance improvements, and that they're using the HW better.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Video showing the new changes/features:

Comment

Hmm Mesh gradients look interesting. Is that (and LPEs) even SVG compatible or is it a non-standard extension?

Comment

By design SVG is extensible, so you can add (namespaced) features that are SVG compatible but not part of the core SVG standard itself. So the new mesh gradients feature *is* SVG compatible, but is not (yet) part of the core SVG standard.

However, Inkscape has a representative on the SVG2 standards committee, so there's been an official proposal made to include mesh gradients in the standard. But Inkscape has only one vote, so for it to be accepted it'll also need to be picked up by, say, a web browser project or two. We decided to press on with getting the feature in the hands of users in hope that proving the coolness of the feature will create a public demand support for it from other applications.

Comment

For 0.92 we did in fact start adding Gtk3, but found it caused bugs in the Gtk2 support, so decided rather than try to support both at the same time, we'd do one last gtk2 based release and then rip it out and do gtk3 in the subsequent release. Inkscape trunk (what will become 0.93) already is switched over to Gtk3, so if that's something you care a lot about and you don't mind some instability, grab a nightly experimental build and have at it. There's a fair bit of work to do to get it all tested and stable, and if you have (or wish to gain) Gtk3 development expertise you'd be especially welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce Harrington View Post
                  By design SVG is extensible, so you can add (namespaced) features that are SVG compatible but not part of the core SVG standard itself. So the new mesh gradients feature *is* SVG compatible, but is not (yet) part of the core SVG standard.

However, Inkscape has a representative on the SVG2 standards committee, so there's been an official proposal made to include mesh gradients in the standard. But Inkscape has only one vote, so for it to be accepted it'll also need to be picked up by, say, a web browser project or two. We decided to press on with getting the feature in the hands of users in hope that proving the coolness of the feature will create a public demand support for it from other applications.
                  Well I was thinking along the lines of 'If I use this, any SVG renderer will be able to render it correctly', but well I hope this pans out well, because I can see it being tremendously useful for shaded illustrations.

Comment

The new Object dialog allows to select, label, hide and lock any object in the drawing from a dialog that lists them all
                    OMG!! Finally!! My biggest complaint about Inkscape is that it makes it extremely difficult to select what you want in some cases of overlapping or very close objects.

Comment

Working...
                    X