Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Tests Data Compression Options

Phoronix: Clear Linux Tests Data Compression Options

Fitting nicely into the related discussion of Should Tarballs Be On Their Way Out The Door In 2017?, Intel developer Arjan Van De Ven of the Clear Linux project has compared various data compression options...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is clear linux an operating system compliant only with UEFI machines?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      Is clear linux an operating system compliant only with UEFI machines?
      The installer images provided are for UEFI machines, because there hasn't been a non-UEFI machine made in quite a few years.
      The OS itself can deal with non-UEFI as well, for example for Azure which doesn't support UEFI yet.

Comment

With other words: What everybody already knew, what was already expected and as a bonus, the earth is still flat.

Comment

Cleah Linus do maggic optimisations on compresors Plz.

Comment

I did a comprehensive test like this years ago when deciding how to archive my files. I ended up coming to the same conclusions. bzip2 is generally just slower and less efficient. Zlib is the best speed/space tradeoff. Xz is the best but really slow. Faster algorithms generally were useless because even zlib is faster than the i/o of a rotational drive, and comprises way better.

Comment

XZ is a crap by design. Do not use it for any serious case. More info can be found here: http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html

Comment

Working...
              X