Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI 2.1 Announced: Looking Ahead To Dynamic HDR, 8K@60Hz, Variable Refresh Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI 2.1 Announced: Looking Ahead To Dynamic HDR, 8K@60Hz, Variable Refresh Rate

Phoronix: HDMI 2.1 Announced: Looking Ahead To Dynamic HDR, 8K@60Hz, Variable Refresh Rate

The HDMI Forum announced from CES today the upcoming release of the HDMI 2.1 specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

8k is too little, I need at least 16k at 144 hz for my gaming. (/sarcasm)

Comment

Now that GSync has apparently tanked (10 times less displays than FreeSync'ed ones, yet up to 40% more expensive), I wonder if NVIDIA will be (financially) mad enough to ignore HDMI 2.1 VRR technology. It's almost sure they will never support anything created by AMD unless they are totally forced to.

Comment

I wish HDMI would disappear and only DisplayPort would remain.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          I wish HDMI would disappear and only DisplayPort would remain.
          I have no problems with HDMI. Yes, it has HDCP but it's not mandatory, yet HDMI is the most ubiquitous digital interface for video output right now. Also, you might wanna educate yourself and learn that DisplayPort also supports HDCP.

HDMI can use HDCP to encrypt the signal if required by the source device.
          Notice it's "can", not "should" or "must".

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I have no problems with HDMI. Yes, it has HDCP but it's not mandatory, yet HDMI is the most ubiquitous digital interface for video output right now. Also, you might wanna educate yourself and learn that DisplayPort also supports HDCP.
            Display port has Multi Stream, while HDMI doesn't. That's why I want HDMI to die.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Notice it's "can", not "should" or "must".
              I don`t care about HDCP. DisplayPort has a better connector, and nice little "teeth" that click in. It`s a better design.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

I don`t care about HDCP. DisplayPort has a better connector, and nice little "teeth" that click in. It`s a better design.
                You may not care about HDCP, but HDCP cares about you. Remember, HDMI 2.0 can't do 4k@60Hz 4:4:4 once you enable HDCP, because there's not enough bandwidth to accommodate both streams. It's no big deal in practice, but it shows HDCP can bite you when you least expect it.
                DP protocol also has less overhead, which is always welcome.

Comment

I naively expected that 8K, HDR and 120 fps would come in one Go. And what about all that per eye? So HDMI can still do "4" times less than one would achieve by stupidly combing all state-of-the-art buzz. Hmmmm - and that for a spec, nothing that has an actual implementation.

Yeah, maybe it's fair to not expect 355Gbit/s now, but I somehow wonder why it can't be specified ahead. Apart from the freesync2-stuff it is just increasing numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Display port has Multi Stream, while HDMI doesn't. That's why I want HDMI to die.
                    The standard doesn't support this one specific feature therefore it's basically useless

Comment

Working...
                    X