Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's SVG Rendering Library Migrating To Rust

Phoronix: GNOME's SVG Rendering Library Migrating To Rust

The librsvg library for SVG rendering is up to version 2.41.0 and with this milestone it's their first release to port some code to Rust while maintaining the same public API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why??? Why is everything moving to Rust?

Also, little typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    For related reading in case you missed it yesterday: Whether You Should Translate Your Code To Rust>

Comment

C̶a̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶C̶ ̶A̶P̶I̶?̶ ̶B̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶
      Edit: Apparently yes, all is good then.
      Last edited by pouar; 04 January 2017, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Why wouldn't one move to Rust? Rust was developed for highly safe and highly concurrent systems and to be practical. Those are main objectives today and weren't when C was developed. It is not surprising that Rust is more suited than C for future development.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Why??? Why is everything moving to Rust?
          Why not just read up on it? The first sentence on the page gives at least a couple of compelling reasons for choosing it over C.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post

Because they're retarded and think it's cool to say you use something esoteric like Rust instead of the common plebs who use C++ and C?
            How is Rust esoteric? Do you even know what that means? Rust is practical, simple, and all-around just makes logical sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post

Because they're retarded and think it's cool to say you use something esoteric like Rust instead of the common plebs who use C++ and C?
              It’s one attempt at an answer to the question of how to write code that is more reliable and less prone to the embarrassing security holes that are increasingly popping up everywhere.

Comment

We all need to stop spinning rust (so I've been told).

Comment

Really? I'll wager it was due to Mozilla wanting to have Rust in FireFox and hooks with librsvg

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                    We all need to stop spinning rust (so I've been told).
                    Your attempt at a pun has awakened another pet peeve of mine: referring to the magnetic coating on hard drives as “rust”.

Rust isn’t magnetic.

Comment

Working...
                    X