Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HarfBuzz 1.4 Brings OpenType GX / Font Variations

Phoronix: HarfBuzz 1.4 Brings OpenType GX / Font Variations

There's a new release available of the HarfBuzz text shaping library used by projects like Qt, Pango, GTK, LibreOffice, Firefox, and many other software projects. HarfBuzz 1.4 is a significant release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a web developer that has used webfonts, the idea that I could essentially blend between different 'fonts' in a family to my taste is ridiculously cool. I'm not sure how it's exposed to a web developer ( "monospace( {bold: 0.73, italic: 0.1, ...} )" ), but I'm excited.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      What makes HardBuzz 1.4 significant

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
        As a web developer that has used webfonts, the idea that I could essentially blend between different 'fonts' in a family to my taste is ridiculously cool. I'm not sure how it's exposed to a web developer ( "monospace( {bold: 0.73, italic: 0.1, ...} )" ), but I'm excited.
        I expect you will have to make different @font-face blocks pointing to the same file, but with different values.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
          As a web developer that has used webfonts, the idea that I could essentially blend between different 'fonts' in a family to my taste is ridiculously cool.
          This is a very old idea. I was messing around with Apple’s late QuickDraw GX graphics/type system back in 1994, and Adobe’s Multiple Masters technology dates from around the same time.

According to this interview, while font-design tools have been acquiring all kinds of parametric, even scripting, capability, it seems like parametric type rendering has never been very popular.

Comment

Working...
          X