Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Clarifies Ubuntu Phone State: Nothing Really Until Snap-Based Image Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Clarifies Ubuntu Phone State: Nothing Really Until Snap-Based Image Ready

Phoronix: Canonical Clarifies Ubuntu Phone State: Nothing Really Until Snap-Based Image Ready

For those that shared your hopes for Ubuntu Phones in 2017, some of you were right: those that guessed nothing or very little. There isn't going to be any new Ubuntu Phone releases or major OTA updates until there is a Snap-based image down the road...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*crickets*

Comment

About two people will be devastated by the news. /s

Comment

Three words:

Duke Nukem For(n)ever.

Comment

Headline for Ubuntu 2142.4 "Unity 8 pushed back to 2143.4, Unity 8 replaces Duke Nukem Forever as the common touchstone for vaporware"

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            About two people will be devastated by the news. /s
            I can't speak for the other Ubuntu phone owner but personally I'm a little disappointed rather than devastated. Might go back to Android if I can find a decent vendor that *doesn't* leave me stuck with a 3 year old version of Android like the last one I had (they didn't want to spend time adding their crapware for a phone they no longer wanted to support).

Comment

What was Unity 8 supposed to premier on the desktop again?

According to http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/08/u...-13-10-arrives it was supposed to be the default in 14.10

I wonder if they'd have been any faster if they weren't so busy reinventing the wheel with Mir

Comment

Canonical can fork if they want. Besides, there's already information as to why they did on a technical level

Comment

It's going to take a while until snaps are really mature for desktop/phone. A lot of the corner cases probably still have to be discovered until snaps feel really well integrated (themes and everything match etc.) I'm running an all snaps system on my Raspberry Pi 3 and it feels really solid to update snaps, though. It could not be easier to just refresh or rollback whatever you want or to see which channel you're tracking for a particular snap with "snap info <snap>" and which version the edge or stable channel ist at etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

I can't speak for the other Ubuntu phone owner but personally I'm a little disappointed rather than devastated. Might go back to Android if I can find a decent vendor that *doesn't* leave me stuck with a 3 year old version of Android like the last one I had (they didn't want to spend time adding their crapware for a phone they no longer wanted to support).
                    i'm another one this a little frustating but I change last week to proposedRC channel and I have small upgrades of system every day and now I will wait unitll they rebase the system to snaps. the phone is faster than the android version, battery is better and I have what I need in the ota14

Comment

Working...
                    X