Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heterogeneous Memory Management v15 For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Heterogeneous Memory Management v15 For The Linux Kernel

Jerome Glisse of Red Hat has published his first set of Heterogeneous Memory Management (HMM) revisions for 2017...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael
    Originally posted by Michael
    mirring
    Looks like typo

Btw, forum egine is awful. It took about 5 minute to write this message. I have problems embedding username inside quote tag.

If you need help with forum I'm volunteering.

Comment

Nice stuff, Let's just hope the kernel can implement a memory scrubber (for non-ECC memory) as well. It would be very nice if one could choose a performance vs reliability tradeoff for non-server hardware as well

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

So, there's HSA and HMM now for doing the same thing? Or it's not the same thing and I haven't been paying enough attention?

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
          Btw, forum egine is awful. It took about 5 minute to write this message. I have problems embedding username inside quote tag.
          Unfortunately I have to agree. It's not Michael's fault though, it's vBulletin 5 that is awful. Would be great if it was downgraded to v4 or replaced with phpBB. Or, if PHP isn't a must, be replaced with actually good forum software like Discourse or NodeBB.

EDIT: And now Michael's name was lost because I copied it from the post above. I don't know what vBulletin does but I have never used a software for storing text that is so bad at inputting text... It's a shame because Phoronix is otherwise a very good source for Linux news with a lot of different kinds of content.
          Last edited by Pajn; 07 January 2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            So, there's HSA and HMM now for doing the same thing? Or it's not the same thing and I haven't been paying enough attention?
            HSA is the heterogeneous memory management model for AMD and everyone else on the planet using ARM except for Intel and Nvidia. But this should NOT be surprising to anyone here with any knowledge of the history of Intel and Nvidia.

HMM is for Nvidia because....well....they're "special".
            Last edited by Jumbotron; 07 January 2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Ok, so it's NIH syndrome then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                HSA is the heterogeneous memory management model for AMD and everyone else on the planet using ARM except for Intel and Nvidia. But this should NOT be surprising to anyone here with any knowledge of the history of Intel and Nvidia.

HMM is for Nvidia because....well....they're "special".
                So AMD has there own implementation in the kernel?

Never seen this, also NIH is IMHO frowned upon in linux / by linus, so I'm really curious.

After some research... according to Heterogeneous_System_Architecture#Software_support
                As of February 2015, support for heterogeneous memory management, suited only for graphics hardware featuring version 2 of the AMD's IOMMU, has not yet been accepted into the Linux kernel mainline.
                So it seems AMD is lacking yat again here... :-(

Comment

Working...
                X