Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Open-Source/Linux Kaby Lake CPU Benchmarks Would You Like To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Open-Source/Linux Kaby Lake CPU Benchmarks Would You Like To See?

Phoronix: What Open-Source/Linux Kaby Lake CPU Benchmarks Would You Like To See?

This week Intel launched the desktop/socketed Kaby Lake CPUs. Over the next week will be many Linux CPU benchmarks on Phoronix so here is your last opportunity to put in any special benchmark requests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its performance is well known as well as the fact that Kaby Lake has the same CPU architecture as Sky Lake, so its performance gains are only due to higher frequencies.

What's interesting if you could check the new Speed Shift[17] technology - ostensibly it should accelerate certain workflows but so far I've seen zero such tests - of course if you're gonna test it please test kaby lake and sky lake cpus at the same locked frequency (say 4GHz) so that we could see or not this technology in action.

Otherwise it's not worth wasting your time.

Comment

Single thread performance vs. the previous leader, the i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz.

Comment

I want to see vainfo of course, then mpv/kodi decoding HEVC Main 10 (press o) hardware accelerated. Maybe compared against Polaris (as AMD should have VAAPI and VDPAU support). For games Talos Principle (OpenGL/Vulkan) maybe, but of course 1080p too and not only 2160p. DIRT Showdown and CS:GO (for Source) and Dota 2 (for Source 2/Vulkan). Not sure what Unreal Engine 3 game, maybe Bioshock Infinite. Deus Ex ist most likely overkill for this chip.

Comment

i3-7350k seems to be the real deal

Comment

I would like to see mprime benchmarks. mprime should be scriptable. mprime depends on heavily on memory bandwidth, so the fastest RAM should be used (obviously many motherboards limit the speed). mprime binaries and source can be downloaded from http://www.mersenne.org/download/.

I've been thinking of figuring out PTS to write a script for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
              I would like to see mprime benchmarks. mprime should be scriptable. mprime depends on heavily on memory bandwidth, so the fastest RAM should be used (obviously many motherboards limit the speed). mprime binaries and source can be downloaded from http://www.mersenne.org/download/.

I've been thinking of figuring out PTS to write a script for it.
              If you can write a bash script to automate the mprime process, I can show you how to adapt it into PTS or do it myself, it's rather trivial once you have a script working.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The only things worth testing are theGPU and the video encode and decode units.

Comment

more benchamrks related to scientific computations (the one with sequence alignment was nice in this article).

Comment

Save your time for RyZen I doubt anyone would care about quadcore benchmarks after its release.

Comment

Working...
                    X