Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Driver Gets Its First Fix From A Valve Developer

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Gets Its First Fix From A Valve Developer

It appears Valve Linux developers are doing a bit more tinkering with the RADV Radeon Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Samuel Pitoiset did send a small patch 3 days ago but he used an gmail adress but as i understand it he know works for valve with radeonsi.

Comment

Well....I hope that AMD is simply waiting to stabilize RADV before fully open sourcing it. Full, unfettered open source is the only path forward, particularly in light of Nvidia. Nvidia must be made to understand that and they will. Open source is the slow but inevitable glacier that will crush entities hell bent on proprietary code.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        Well....I hope that AMD is simply waiting to stabilize RADV before fully open sourcing it. Full, unfettered open source is the only path forward, particularly in light of Nvidia. Nvidia must be made to understand that and they will. Open source is the slow but inevitable glacier that will crush entities hell bent on proprietary code.
        RADV is the unofficial open source Radeon Vulkan driver included in Mesa. AMD has not released an official open source Vulkan driver and does not work on RADV as of yet.

Comment

I remember reading that AMD has plans to eventually open source their Vulkan driver. I wonder what will happen to RADV at that point. Will they merge or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Unklejoe View Post
            I remember reading that AMD has plans to eventually open source their Vulkan driver. I wonder what will happen to RADV at that point. Will they merge or something?
            No one knows at this point. It's sounding like it may be a year+ before that happens, at which point RADV might be good enough that there's no point dropping it. They may just try to merge in pieces of proprietary code where it makes sense. I know Marek is of the opinion that RADV is a waste of time and will go away, but if they don't get an alternative out relatively quickly it may not matter.

Comment

Working...
            X