Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official: Mesa 13.1 is Now Mesa 17.0

Phoronix: It's Official: Mesa 13.1 is Now Mesa 17.0

There was talk last year of Mesa moving to a date-based version scheme and that's now official with Mesa in Git being 17.0-devel rather than 13.1-devel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At first, I was like: "Aw, crap, it's gonna be one of those weird ass decisions again."

Then, I read the article, and I concluded: that actually sounds logical. Long live Mesa!

Comment

I wish everything would move to a date-based version scheme. It makes things easier for everyone. If something gets daily updates, just do it based YYMMDD. If something gets updated multiple times a day, just start counting with letters.

I think the Linux kernel should do this too. The numbering scheme is already completely arbitrary at this point anyway; it pretty much just changes whenever Linus feels like it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I wish everything would move to a date-based version scheme. It makes things easier for everyone. If something gets daily updates, just do it based YYMMDD. If something gets updated multiple times a day, just start counting with letters.

I think the Linux kernel should do this too. The numbering scheme is already completely arbitrary at this point anyway; it pretty much just changes whenever Linus feels like it.
        I agree so much with this. But there is a problem with this that when an old release gets some fixor backport patch it gets confusing.

Comment

I like prime numbers: 13, 17, 19, 23 ...

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            I agree so much with this. But there is a problem with this that when an old release gets some fixor backport patch it gets confusing.
            Aaahhhh.... I wasn't thinking about that.... Good point.

Comment

And why is the first release 2017 not 17.1?

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                And why is the first release 2017 not 17.1?
                Why is it not 17.2 since it'll be released in February?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I think the Linux kernel should do this too.
                  "Linux twenty-seventeen-dot-one" sounds awesome, a little like microsoft marketing, but awesome.

Comment

A pity it won't end up in Debian soon because of the freeze. I hope at least it will be uploaded to experimental.

Comment

Working...
                    X