Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspyr Media Officially Confirms Bringing Civilization VI To Linux

Phoronix: Aspyr Media Officially Confirms Bringing Civilization VI To Linux

After Aspyr Media left a lot of uncertainty in 2016 about the viability of bringing Sid Meier's Civilization VI game to Linux, they officially confirmed today that they are bringing this latest Civilization title to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Im glad they are coming through. Many gamers will be happy.

Thank You @aspyr -- go jump on their tweet to let them know what it means for you if you love the series.

Comment

This is one of the few games I am willing to pay top prize for. First time I tried Civ V I started at 19h and after a while I thought: "I am a bit tired, may be I should go to bed" to realize that it was... 7am!!!

Comment

It's not clear to me why the Linux requirements would be "much higher" -- DX11 and OpenGL 4.5 are just about as efficient as one another in a capable dev's hands, and Aspyr is one of the only GL devs who are actually up to the task. They're expensive, though, so they tend to only work on games that are going to come to OSX first and do decent business. And this may change soon because Apple has pretty much given up on keeping up with OpenGL in OSX.

Feral's ports wind up with much higher requirements because they just run a wrapper on top of the DX11 code.

Comment

Worth noting GoL covered it like 8 hours ago with an amusing picture Aspyr sent in with a bunch of tux: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...-soon-too.8860

Comment

Not Aspyr again ... ;_;

Comment

I follow these guys closely being a Mac user. I can't complain about Feral's port of Alien Isolation, even if it uses some kind of layer. We want games with Metal!

Comment

If it goes on sale while being a released on Linux like the last time, I might just buy it before the first expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
                  It's not clear to me why the Linux requirements would be "much higher"
                  all aspyr ports are noticeable slower. though maybe they only require faster processors.

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
                    It's not clear to me why the Linux requirements would be "much higher" -- DX11 and OpenGL 4.5 are just about as efficient as one another in a capable dev's hands, and Aspyr is one of the only GL devs who are actually up to the task.

Feral's ports wind up with much higher requirements because they just run a wrapper on top of the DX11 code.
                    If they are up to the task, they should do this in Vulkan. Civ IV has a d3d12 renderer, so this is only reasonable.

BTW: I played Civ V, which was also ported by Aspyr and it was nowhere near the Windows version.

Comment

Working...
                    X