Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Ubuntu Linux Users Have A Lot To Gain By Upgrading Mesa

Phoronix: Radeon Ubuntu Linux Users Have A Lot To Gain By Upgrading Mesa

For those curious about the performance difference if upgrading to third-party PPAs from Ubuntu 16.10 when using a modern AMD Radeon graphics card with the open-source driver stack, here are some fresh numbers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also while no one seems to care anymore, the critical R600 sb bug has been fixed a few days ago. No more lockups and GPU hangs in EON and other games.

Comment

Exactly why I'm not a Kubuntu user anymore, but a Manjaro user. I want the latest stable Mesa and the latest stable kernel.

Comment

I don't know why anyone using Radeon would care. According to that other thread, even Source games don't work on the radeon driver. What the fuck is there even to play to benefit that better performance? Lol, quake 1 from 500 to 600 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          I don't know why anyone using Radeon would care. According to that other thread, even Source games don't work on the radeon driver. What the fuck is there even to play to benefit that better performance? Lol, quake 1 from 500 to 600 fps.
          Are you saying that there are families of games which work with the amdgpu kernel driver but do not work with the radeon kernel driver ? If so I don't think I remember having heard that previously.
          Test signature

Comment

In the last time I just noticed two problematic games for RadeonSI: Worms W.M.D (probably due to GL compatibility profile context) and The Witcher 2 (for this issue fix is mostly done in the latest Mesa git) and D3D9 games works even better than on NV due to Gallium Nine, so I can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Also while no one seems to care anymore, the critical R600 sb bug has been fixed a few days ago. No more lockups and GPU hangs in EON and other games.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...f4646c143c6c88
              "CBS Cares"

Comment

some months ago on my notebook (with APU A10 8700p) team fortress 2 was unplayable (very low framerate) with open source driver, now instead (ubutnu 16.10 with mesa 13.0.3) it's perfectly playable.
                open source performance driver is improved a lot, i hope that AMD still continue improve driver performance.

Comment

One guy reported mud lighting isn't rendered correctly in Portal 2 so all source games don't work? Good troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                    One guy reported mud lighting isn't rendered correctly in Portal 2 so all source games don't work? Good troll.
                    Using a RX470, I have issues with mesa git sometimes. But mesa stable is very good with me, no problems at all in Source games.

Comment

Working...
                    X