Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go 1.8 Baking Garbage Collector Improvements, Lower Cgo Overhead

Phoronix: Go 1.8 Baking Garbage Collector Improvements, Lower Cgo Overhead

The first release candidate of Google's Go 1.8 programming language is now available ahead of the official launch expected next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The GC situation is a bit nuanced than that, see the following link for a review of what's what:

> I have no doubt that many Go users are very happy with the new runtime. But I have a bone to pick with these claims — to me it comes across like a misleading piece of marketing. As these claims are getting repeated across the blogosphere, it’s time to take a deeper look at them.

Comment

Originally posted by dsvensson View Post
      The GC situation is a bit nuanced than that, see the following link for a review of what's what:

> I have no doubt that many Go users are very happy with the new runtime. But I have a bone to pick with these claims — to me it comes across like a misleading piece of marketing. As these claims are getting repeated across the blogosphere, it’s time to take a deeper look at them.
      Well, that is one way to look at it. Bu the bigger picture is a lot of what Go does flies in the face of decades of making languages more complicated (e.g. it doesn't even have inheritance). But sometimes (often) simpler is better.
      I'm not familiar with Go's GC so I'm not even sure its performance is a sore point.

Comment

If I remember correctly. the other thing that the Go GC does which is useful is that when it needs extra time for GC it takes it from the threads that are doing allocation. This works out great because those are the same threads creating more garbage to collect later. so it is assigning the cost to the right place.

Like every GC language, the ultimate way to speed up the program is to not create any garbage memory. Use large byte buffers and slices of those buffers instead of copies. Recycle instead of releasing them. That technique alone can increase program speed dramatically and it is a lot easier to do in Go than it is in Java.

Comment

I read that article a couple weeks ago and found it to be pretty sloppy. Overall it's obviously written by someone with a lot of experience, but it focuses in the initial release of the Go GC when there have been major updates in the year and a half since. Why didn't it talk about Go's current GC instead? Another thing it was weird about was saying that Java has a GC with similar latency, and then it mentions the latency of this Java GC low latency option, which is an order of magnitude slower than Go's. It also doesn't discuss that Go has better escape analysis, making the GC not needed much of the time where it would be in Java. Overall, the author seemed very smart, but I couldn't help but wonder if someone with so much experience and such huge errors in their writing was blinded by an affection for Java and picked facts in a way that could be misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, that is one way to look at it. Bu the bigger picture is a lot of what Go does flies in the face of decades of making languages more complicated (e.g. it doesn't even have inheritance). But sometimes (often) simpler is better.
            I'm not familiar with Go's GC so I'm not even sure its performance is a sore point.
            The simplicity of Go creates some other mismatches in the comparison to Java. Java makes no guarantees about layout of memory when you define a class and instantiate it, there is inherent overhead to instantiating objects (I want to say this is like 128bit at the low end, possibly more) and then no promises about where the data owned by an object actually resides in memory, that data is often instances of objects itself which have that "object overhead" of their own. Java strings, as an example, are interned and live nowhere near the actual object that references them in many cases. Go's model is much lower level, a struct pretty much defines memory usage as it would in C. Go effectively has bytes, integers of various sizes, floats, structs and then arrays of those.

The simplicity of Go almost certainly results in entirely different types of applications being written than are in Java. I've worked on Java apps running on application servers that had 64GB sized heaps, doing a full GC (across the entire app server) on that is just a different sort of thing than something a magnitude smaller. I've not heard any loud rumblings about Go's GC latency, just sort of the normal noise from anti-GC folks. It's there though, occasionally some aspect of your application may stall briefly while it's GCing, if you're testing things and looking for consistency then there maybe that an inconsistency just due to the nature of it all with no explanation you can provide with your code. Eric Raymond is writing an NTP server and is pondering replacing C with Go or Rust, locking out GC during some critical sections in that type of application is the biggest potential problem I've heard about. A lot of this is the Go community staying on top of the issue before it's a real headache though.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
              The capacity of memory modules isn't going to stop growing in the near future. In consequence there is very little pressure on compilers and runtimes to optimize for memory consumption.
              You might think so, but I find there's quite a lot of pressure to control memory usage.

It makes all the difference in how many containers can be run on each host. Using Kubernetes, I can define memory limits. Say that a micro-service is known to stay under 64 MB. I can set its memory limit to 64 MB and now I can run hundreds of copies on one node. Or I can build it differently and make a single gigantic THING that tries to serve hundreds of clients per second using 2 GB and 200 threads. The second choice is a lot more fragile though, and harder to scale across a bunch of cheap, temporary EC2 nodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post
                Another thing it was weird about was saying that Java has a GC with similar latency, and then it mentions the latency of this Java GC low latency option, which is an order of magnitude slower than Go's.
                But he's talking about the trade-offs, right? He said that for the Java low latency option most of the pauses are less than 1ms, and then every once in a while a 50-100 ms pause has to occur. So most of the time it's as quick as Go for latency, with occasional hiccups but average latency is the same. If the total throughput is better, then for some applications it's sufficient. If the total throughput is worse, then maybe Go is a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

You might think so, but I find there's quite a lot of pressure to control memory usage.

It makes all the difference in how many containers can be run on each host. Using Kubernetes, I can define memory limits. Say that a micro-service is known to stay under 64 MB. I can set its memory limit to 64 MB and now I can run hundreds of copies on one node. Or I can build it differently and make a single gigantic THING that tries to serve hundreds of clients per second using 2 GB and 200 threads. The second choice is a lot more fragile though, and harder to scale across a bunch of cheap, temporary EC2 nodes.
                  Everything old is new again, right? I don't give a hoot how much memory Java services and programs need on my desktop. It's six years old, runs plenty fast, has 12GB of RAM.

But I have two Raspberry Pi devices in the house. (I also have some four year old Android phones that have more computing power than the Raspberry Pi. But they're ($&%)($&%$ locked down, so I can't do much with them.)

On my desktop, I would develop programs based strictly on what tools get me from start to launch the fastest. For the Pi and for the old phones, efficiency matters. I'm not ready to use C/C++/Rust/Ada/Fortran on them yet, I don't need to squeeze every last drop of performance out of them. But the Go runtime overhead is so much smaller than the JVM that it's an easy choice. (Edit: Even something like Node.js or Guile Scheme would be good, too. Anything that doesn't need to load a 200MB standard library into RAM for the purposes of printing "Hello World". I'm not knocking the JVM. It's a fine piece of engineering and I make a good salary writing software that runs on it. But this is a place where it's a poor fit.)
                  Last edited by Michael_S; 11 January 2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

The practice of computing is decades behind the research on almost everything. Go, both the language and the tool-chain, put together a bunch of good ideas into a really good package in a way that no other language really done before.

It's not about being the only language that has CSP threads, good GC or clean and efficient syntax. It's about being the best, and likely only, language to have them all AND a solid policy of not making language changes so you can go into production now without worrying about the future. Considering all that, Go is exceptionally good.

Comment

Working...
                    X