Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Quietly Updates Vulkan Driver Beta, New Vulkan Extensions

Phoronix: NVIDIA Quietly Updates Vulkan Driver Beta, New Vulkan Extensions

NVIDIA this week released updated Vulkan beta drivers for Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there something related to this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...lkan-Without-X ? I have been waiting the beta update to finally be able to use the vulkan driver through bumblebee

Comment

Iirc Nvidia was working towards making OpenGL and Vulkan interoperable. Maybe that's what the new extensions do?

Comment

The VK_external_* extensions seem to be similar to their Win32 counterparts, which are meant to use DirectX/OpenGL created content in a Vulkan environment (and vice-versa? I'm not sure), if I remember correctly.

The VK_display_* extensions are more interesting. Although the article linked by edoantonioco mentions only headless rendering support, I think these extensions can also be used to implement a Wayland compositor on top of them (they provide windowing system independent display queries and swapchain creation, sort of like GBM/EGLStream for OpenGL). Come to think of it, the external memory extensions can also be useful for Wayland compositors. Exciting times ahead!

Comment

At simple seek this driver works without issues with wine 2.0-rc5

Comment

i cant seem to find this driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Iirc Nvidia was working towards making OpenGL and Vulkan interoperable. Maybe that's what the new extensions do?
              This works since last February when Vulkan was released and NVIDIA released their first Vulkan driver.

Comment

Vulkan drivers are improving nicely. Games, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Vulkan drivers are improving nicely. Games, not so much.
                  Good drivers are needed to develop a game, much less release it. Who wants to release a game with a Vulkan back end that is a mess because of drivers?

Comment

Wtf? I'm pretty sure the swapchain extension is a basic necessity to setup the display of rendered images on any window system and has been part of Vulkan since 1.0. But my memory might be failing me, haven't concerned myself with Vulkan for a few months.

Comment

Working...
                    X