Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.19.1 For Testing On Arch, Libinput X.Org Driver To Be Used By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.19.1 For Testing On Arch, Libinput X.Org Driver To Be Used By Default

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.19.1 For Testing On Arch, Libinput X.Org Driver To Be Used By Default

Arch Linux fans can now find this week's X.Org Server 1.19.1 available from the extra repository plus other pending X.Org changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a little offtopic:
    does anyone know if mutter is going to support bypassing on Xwayland soon?

Comment

The other ones I understand, though I think it's a little early to remove xf86-input-joystick. I have used it and it does work. It's not like it's about to stop working (given that Linux joystick APIs have been fairly firm since the '90s).

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        The other ones I understand, though I think it's a little early to remove xf86-input-joystick. I have used it and it does work. It's not like it's about to stop working (given that Linux joystick APIs have been fairly firm since the '90s).
        I assume they're removing it because "joydev has been deprecated for ages. Use evdev and **** you if you've got a joystick old enough to expect the OS to do calibration."

(I have a perfectly good Saitek flight stick that I got for free, but I had to buy another one off a classified ad seller for $10 because it doesn't auto-calibrate and the Linux port of Strike Suit Zero, which only supports evdev, refuses to set a more useful zero point for its axes.)

Comment

Great!
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            I believe it does not build against latest Xorg and that's why it was removed.

Comment

I'll take libinput over synaptics when it's ready, but forcing the change through now seems a little premature if you're using kde. Last time I checked, system settings crashes whenever you enter the touchpad section because of a missing kcm. Since the defaults are awful, this makes it very annoying to use. Even if you track down and compile the kcm, you find that it's incomplete anyway:

Originally posted by wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libinput
              KDE's Touchpad KCM has libinput support for Xorg, but not all GUI settings are available yet. You may find that a setting such as Disable touchpad when typing has no effect and other options are greyed out. Until the support is extended, a workaround is to set the options manually with xinput set-prop.
              Can't be very difficult to fix. Maybe this change will motivate the libinput kcm maintainers to finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
                Can't be very difficult to fix. Maybe this change will motivate the libinput kcm maintainers to finish it.
                libinput is only supported on wayland, the KCM will only work on wayland, not for the xinput driver. xf86-input-libinput is not supported by Qt. So just forget about that on xorg and wait for wayland.

Comment

joystick old enough to expect the OS to do calibration
                  how else are you going to calibrate a Joystick?

Also when it comes to mouse handling, libinput sucks ass. Who in their right mind would enable mouse acceleration BY DEFAULT and then make it nearly impossible to switch off?
                  Last edited by Detructor; 14 January 2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post

how else are you going to calibrate a Joystick?

Also when it comes to mouse handling, libinput sucks ass. Who in their right mind would enable mouse acceleration BY DEFAULT and then make it nearly impossible to switch off?
                    I don't know about you, but a single line in a config file seems relatively possible for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X