Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP's Progress In 2016, What's Ahead For 2017

Phoronix: GIMP's Progress In 2016, What's Ahead For 2017

GIMP developer Alexandre Prokoudine published a lengthy blog post today looking back at what were the accomplishments for this open-source image manipulation program in 2016 and some of what's ahead for the program this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> GIMP developer Alexandre Prokoudine published...

I'm not a developer. Thanks all the same

Also...

> But not making it for GIMP 2.10 is the port to the GTK3 tool-kit

You make it sound like we intended GTK+3 to be part of 2.10, and then it slipped. We never did.
    Last edited by prokoudine; 15 January 2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
      > GIMP developer Alexandre Prokoudine published...

I'm not a developer.
      While you’re here, let me tell you how much I value your libregraphicsworld.org site. The articles on there are very informative. I can appreciate that they take a lot of time to put together.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
        > But not making it for GIMP 2.10 is the port to the GTK3 tool-kit

You make it sound like we intended GTK+3 to be part of 2.10, and then it slipped. We never did.
        Well, it's Phoronix. Verum non olet.

Comment

Now with Krita...

Is Gimp still relevant?

Why Gimp still has that awful and unusable graphical user interface? Is the GUI designed by C programmers without sense if usability?

They would better design a framework used by Krita and other graphics drawing software than waste time. They do users work on a pathetic GUI that is one of the biggest running jokes of the Free Software world.

Krita started in KO-ffice (now KO-lligra KO-ffice, more near to death than ever), but was the only alive part of a zombie. Now it's very live and improving faster and more than Gimp in its entire life.

Gimp developers should stop being so difficult and reckon it's massive failure as computer programmers. Gimp developers should change their careers, like becoming web developers.

Why a news item about Gimp? This crap ought to be forgotten forever for the good of humanity and the rest of the world.

Gimp makes Microsoft Paint look like it's a master piece of software design, even with it's stupid ribbon user interface (now morons at LibreOffice copied it, what a shame).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Now with Krita...

Is Gimp still relevant?

Why Gimp still has that awful and unusable graphical user interface? Is the GUI designed by C programmers without sense if usability?

They would better design a framework used by Krita and other graphics drawing software than waste time. They do users work on a pathetic GUI that is one of the biggest running jokes of the Free Software world.

Krita started in KO-ffice (now KO-lligra KO-ffice, more near to death than ever), but was the only alive part of a zombie. Now it's very live and improving faster and more than Gimp in its entire life.

Gimp developers should stop being so difficult and reckon it's massive failure as computer programmers. Gimp developers should change their careers, like becoming web developers.

Why a news item about Gimp? This crap ought to be forgotten forever for the good of humanity and the rest of the world.

Gimp makes Microsoft Paint look like it's a master piece of software design, even with it's stupid ribbon user interface (now morons at LibreOffice copied it, what a shame).
            Great trolling. Otherwise Krita and GIMP serve different purposes, one can't make the other irrelevant. As for the UI, I'm not a heavy or advanced user but I don't find GIMP's user interface particularly bad or nonintuitive. I guess for some people "good UI" must mean "identical to Photoshop in every detail". Personally I don't remember ever using PS but I did, I suppose I would find the whole thing just as confusing and impenetrable compared to GIMP. I other words I would much prefer GIMP devs to focus on completing the transition to GEGL and GTK+3 to have a code base in good shape for future developments rather than paying attention to full time whiners who will never contribute anything useful, not even explain what specifically is so "pathetic" or "awful" about the user interface.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Great trolling. Otherwise Krita and GIMP serve different purposes, one can't make the other irrelevant. As for the UI, I'm not a heavy or advanced user but I don't find GIMP's user interface particularly bad or nonintuitive. I guess for some people "good UI" must mean "identical to Photoshop in every detail". Personally I don't remember ever using PS but I did, I suppose I would find the whole thing just as confusing and impenetrable compared to GIMP. I other words I would much prefer GIMP devs to focus on completing the transition to GEGL and GTK+3 to have a code base in good shape for future developments rather than paying attention to full time whiners who will never contribute anything useful, not even explain what specifically is so "pathetic" or "awful" about the user interface.
              Thanks, that's also what I think. I reckon GIMP might drop the several windows interface by default. I know a lot of GIMP users that complain about this UI but don't know it's possible to have only one window with just one click in the menu. But apart from that, I really like GIMP and hope it's going to evolve nicely.

Once this huge job of converting everything to GEGL is done, and once GTK 3 port is made, then GIMP devs will be able to focus on long awaited features like previewing a filter directly in the canvas, or being able to apply a filter on a layer (like drop-shadow for instance).

Let's go GIMP devs! And please don't listen to the BS of non users like timofonic, a software is never finished, but you've done a tremendous job.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                I guess for some people "good UI" must mean "identical to Photoshop in every detail". Personally I don't remember ever using PS but I did, I suppose I would find the whole thing just as confusing and impenetrable compared to GIMP.
                Those people speak about the Microsoft Windows version of Adobe Photoshop and never tried the Mac one. The latter is no different from the multiple windows on Gimp.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Those people speak about the Microsoft Windows version of Adobe Photoshop and never tried the Mac one. The latter is no different from the multiple windows on Gimp.
                  Of course, that's #1 rule of trolling. You don't expect them to actually use the software and know what they are talking about, do you!

Kidding aside, the multi-windows UI is actually what I like about GIMP. A window shows an image and nothing but an image. I find that clean, logical and uncluttered. For a more prolonged work session (not that I'm really any proficient user) I make the toolbox window 'always on top" and it Just Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

I know a lot of GIMP users that complain about this UI but don't know it's possible to have only one window with just one click in the menu.
                    I think GIMP already has, or at least used to have, a single-window mode. Not sure how you enable it though.

Comment

Working...
                    X