Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Raspberry Pi X.Org Desktop Performance With NEON

Phoronix: Faster Raspberry Pi X.Org Desktop Performance With NEON

Broadcom developer Eric Anholt has begun writing code within the VC4 open-source driver stack to make use of NEON in its acceleration code-paths...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its possible to use the Foss Driver from Eric and still Use the Hardware Video Decoder from the SoC?

Comment

sweet sweet performance improvements

Comment

Neon don't exists on RPI1... and the RPI2/3 is to be compatible, if really you need graphics performance you need leave the rpi board.
        Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by alpha_one_x86 View Post
          Neon don't exists on RPI1... and the RPI2/3 is to be compatible, if really you need graphics performance you need leave the rpi board.
          Rather backwards thinking isn't it? Hardware improves every year the last thing we want to do is be stuck on a code base that has to support RP1. Beyond that it isn't that hard to write software that uses the new features while maintaining compatibility with the old.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Rather backwards thinking isn't it?
            Not backwards, just no one expect miracles out RPi3's ~29 GFLOPS GPU

Drivers are there just to make things to work fine as much as possibile. Currently only fastest PC iGPU go above 1 TFLOPS and fastest dGPU go above 10 TFLOPS, etc...

Of course it is possible to make 1000 times faster setup, but will use KWatts of power and it won't be nowehere near cheap as RPi

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              Its possible to use the Foss Driver from Eric and still Use the Hardware Video Decoder from the SoC?
              I don't think so. Well, not with any acceptable performance if it does work anyway. Check the status of this bug to see when this has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha_one_x86 View Post
                Performance is a relative concept. Look I'm not going to try and play Battlefield 1 on my RPI.

Many people including me do image processing on the RPI. Neon will increase performance and lower power usage. I can now use a part of the processor that has been idle. These changes also allows young students to experiment with more technologies. SMID operations are planned for Ecmascript 2016+/es-next, it will be a requirement if you want a lag free modern browser in the next few years. I welcome Eric's changes, thanks for the hard work!

Comment

BTW, just came across this on a german tech site: Blobless Linux on Raspberry Pi (rpi-open-firmware)

http://crna.cc
                  Open source VPU side bootloader for Raspberry Pi. Contribute to christinaa/rpi-open-firmware development by creating an account on GitHub.

very interesting

Comment

Working...
                  X