No announcement yet.

A Look At The Long TODO List Of Nouveau: Reclocking, More OpenGL, Video Accel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The Long TODO List Of Nouveau: Reclocking, More OpenGL, Video Accel

Phoronix: A Look At The Long TODO List Of Nouveau: Reclocking, More OpenGL, Video Accel

With the recent news over the Nouveau Maxwell performance improvements and reaching OpenGL 4.3, among other milestones for this community-driven, open-source NVIDIA Linux graphics driver, you may be wondering what else is on the road-map for this driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I care a lot more about video acceleration than getting OpenGL to the highest levels, since I watch videos a lot more than I play games.

Comment

Nouveau-specific DDX is still necessary this days? Only two things that not working for me with modesetting is Firewatch and Layers of Fear.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Nouveau-specific DDX is still necessary this days?
        There's only one task listed for the DDX (improved Xv overlay support for older cards). And yes, the older cards are the ones where it makes sense to use the EXA to take advantage of the 2D hardware accel:
        http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Vs-Modesetting

Comment

While a DDX is no longer necessary with things like GLAMOR for recent hardware, it's certainly preferable for a stable experience. Ignoring any sort of speed-based arguments, a device-specific DDX is much better placed to handle acceleration errors, out of memory conditions, etc., than a generic GL driver. And it's (usually) a much smaller codebase than a full GL driver, that exercises a fraction of the GPU's functionality. Perhaps with various robustness extensions, the GL approach can eventually get there in terms of reliability.

This becomes questionable for GPUs that have shed all 2D acceleration logic, and are pure 3D pipelines, however I think that's the minority of hardware out there (basically just Radeon, maybe some of the embedded ones too).

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
            This becomes questionable for GPUs that have shed all 2D acceleration logic, and are pure 3D pipelines, however I think that's the minority of hardware out there (basically just Radeon, maybe some of the embedded ones too).
            Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I thought newer GeForce cards were like Radeons in that regard.

I'm really looking forward to Nvidia getting off their dufffs and releasing the needed firmware images.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              I care a lot more about video acceleration than getting OpenGL to the highest levels, since I watch videos a lot more than I play games.
              You can get all the video acceleration you need (and then some) from the iGPU. You don't need nvidia for that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                You can get all the video acceleration you need (and then some) from the iGPU. You don't need nvidia for that.
                Except there is cases when nVIdia is iGPU, like in ION-based HTPCs.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Shitty help from a genius. Also tell me that I can hack the linux kernel to fix its vulnerabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Shitty help from a genius. Also tell me that I can hack the linux kernel to fix its vulnerabilities.
                    Seriously, why do splurge on a Nvidia GPU if you don't care about 3D performance?

Comment

Working...
                    X