Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Developer On GTK4: State-of-the-Art of Toolkit Support

Phoronix: GNOME Developer On GTK4: State-of-the-Art of Toolkit Support

GNOME developer Georges Stavracas has shared his thoughts on the state of the GTK4 tool-kit with the recent work involving a Vulkan renderer, including which also now works on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this will help Gnome reach 10% marketshare?
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

"Even better, the absolute majority of applications will gain this for free once they port to Gtk+ 4 series."

But how trivial is it to port your applications from version 3 of GTK to version 4?

Comment

When someone else from outside of Gnome/GTK bubble says that i will consider it being possibly true.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          "Even better, the absolute majority of applications will gain this for free once they port to Gtk+ 4 series."

But how trivial is it to port your applications from version 3 of GTK to version 4?
          This is not confined to software, but it always a red flag when you hear: "you get X for free, if you do Y". If I have to do something (anything), then it's not free.

Comment

Always good to know what is coming down the line

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              This is not confined to software, but it always a red flag when you hear: "you get X for free, if you do Y". If I have to do something (anything), then it's not free.
              Well, it's better understood if you imagine not porting an existing app, but rather writing a new one — in this case you indeed "gain a feature for free", because the fact that whatever toolkit you choose, you'd have to write a code, is taken for granted. In case of porting to a newer GTK version, one can consider the effort as taken for granted too, because at some point the previous version going to be deprecated, thus requiring porting, with disregard to new features.

If I'd promote something, I'd say something alike.

Comment

Now we're arguing semantics. But you can look at it that porting from GTK3 to GTK4 gives you GTK4. The fact that GTK4 works already with Vulkan is a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Now we're arguing semantics. But you can look at it that porting from GTK3 to GTK4 gives you GTK4. The fact that GTK4 works already with Vulkan is a bonus.
                  Yes, but the elephant in the room is not what you get (nobody actually needs Vulkan to render their desktop, at least not any time soon), is how easy or hard is to move to GTK4. That's what I think many would have liked to hear instead.

Comment

Yes, but the elephant in the room is not what you get (nobody actually needs Vulkan to render their desktop, at least not any time soon), is how easy or hard is to move to GTK4. That's what I think many would have liked to hear instead.
                    I think you can fathom porting fro GTK+2.x was a lot longer process than 3 to 4.

Comment

Working...
                    X