Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Still Planning For Mir 1.0 In 2017

Phoronix: Ubuntu Still Planning For Mir 1.0 In 2017

Alan Griffiths of Canonical today posted a year-in-review for Mir during 2016 and a look ahead to this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Feeling like "Ground Hog Day" anyone?
    Its not that i wish them to fail... just tired of hearing the same stuff for years...

Comment

At least, I like the videos about Unity 8 on youtube. But I think, they could do the same with Wayland...
      With Mir, there are three display server, which means more fragmentation and more code to be tested and maintained by toolkits...

Comment

Since Fedora already ships with Wayland by default.
        Either they release it this year, or they effectively assume defeat...

Comment

I'm just bored of Wayland and Mir at this point. Neither are living up to the original hype.

Comment

Could some one explain to me why Canonical didn't just use Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              At least, I like the videos about Unity 8 on youtube. But I think, they could do the same with Wayland...
              With Mir, there are three display server, which means more fragmentation and more code to be tested and maintained by toolkits...
              From Wikipedia:
              "Wayland core protocol does not support communication between wayland clients at all, and the corresponding functionality (if needed) should be implemented by the desktop environments (like KDE or GNOME), or by a third party (for example, by using native IPC of the underlying operating system)."

To my understanding, Wayland lacks several quality of life / advanced features like this, so there is going to be a lot of fragmented developer effort on different DEs anyway. If Mir ends up being better / solving problems like these, hey, I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                I'm just bored of Wayland and Mir at this point. Neither are living up to the original hype.
                I use wayland on my laptop with KDE Neon.
                Works almost 100%
                Only small bugs in software like Dropbox etc.
                Wayland is the Unix way of making something like a display server. It actually makes it possible to modularize the display stack in Linux/Unix.
                You wouldn't actually notice much difference from the X11 experience. But the whole thing is much more maintainable this way. And things like network transparancy etc. can be implemented in other layers of the display stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post

From Wikipedia:
                  "Wayland core protocol does not support communication between wayland clients at all, and the corresponding functionality (if needed) should be implemented by the desktop environments (like KDE or GNOME), or by a third party (for example, by using native IPC of the underlying operating system)."

To my understanding, Wayland lacks several quality of life / advanced features like this, so there is going to be a lot of fragmented developer effort on different DEs anyway. If Mir ends up being better / solving problems like these, hey, I'm all for it.
                  Why would you want IPC in the display stack?
                  Isn't it better to have a different standardized protocol for this?

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Working...
                    X