Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking Radeon Open Compute ROCm 1.4 OpenCL

Phoronix: Benchmarking Radeon Open Compute ROCm 1.4 OpenCL

Last month with AMD/GPUOpen's ROCm 1.4 release they delivered on OpenCL support, albeit for this initial release all of the code is not yet open-source. I tried out ROCm 1.4 with the currently supported GPUs to see how the OpenCL performance compares to just using the AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL implementation.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice testing!

I really don't understand all the components though...
    KFD
    HSA
    HSA+
    Rock kernel driver,
    the other KFD that "is NOT compatible with amdkfd that is distributed as part of the mainline Linux kernel from 3.19 and onward"
    kmt,
    rocr runtime,
    hsa runtime,
    hcc,
    thunk.

Comment

What about OpenMP?

In pair with Down-CC this particular approach looks very promising.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Can the AMDGPU-PRO kernel module and the ROCm kernel module be used on a single Linux machine at the same time?
        Didn't try that.
        Is ROCm compatible with the open-source amdgpu.ko in the Linux kernel tree?
        I don't think so, at least not yet. Just like I don't believe it's AMDKFD kernel module is compatible with the mainline one right now, hence it ships its own Linux 4.6 kernel as part of its Ubuntu 16.04 packages.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
          Nice testing!

I really don't understand all the components though...
          KFD
          HSA
          HSA+
          Rock kernel driver,
          the other KFD that "is NOT compatible with amdkfd that is distributed as part of the mainline Linux kernel from 3.19 and onward"
          kmt,
          rocr runtime,
          hsa runtime,
          hcc,
          thunk.
          I believe very few people other than the developers understand those.

Comment

I thought rocm used exactly the same opencl components as the AMDGPU-pro driver. I remembered Bridgman saying something along those lines, but I probably miss read his comment then

Comment

Source code or it didn't happen.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Installed on Debian resulting in segfaults for CodeXL that needs an update to reflect ROCm. Uninstalled and CodeXL works once more.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                  I thought rocm used exactly the same opencl components as the AMDGPU-pro driver. I remembered Bridgman saying something along those lines, but I probably miss read his comment then
                  It's LLVM is LLVM-amdgpu 3.9 from AMD, so there is definitely customization going on with all the APIs and HSA subcomponents.

Comment

Closed-source is fine as long as it can seamlessly run alongside open-source software on the same machine.
                    Maybe for you, but not for me.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X