Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Support For Flatpak Portals Progressing

Phoronix: KDE Support For Flatpak Portals Progressing

While GNOME / Red Hat developers have been leading the Flatpak app sandboxing initiative, KDE developers are making progress too with embracing Flatpak as a more convenient and secure way of securely packaging Linux desktop apps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Now KDE should just stop making a mess of Wayland protocol extensions. They already admitted it will compromise security.
    Source please.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It is always nice to see the lesser desktops babystep the road paved by RH/Gnome.
      Jan is then RH/KDE because he also works for Red Hat. Red Hat also contributes to Qt/KDE.

Comment

It is always nice to see the lesser desktops babystep the road paved by RH/Gnome. Be it Gstreamer, Wayland, Vulkan, Flatpak or packaging.

Now KDE should just stop making a mess of Wayland protocol extensions. They already admitted it will compromise security.
        I see playschool has finished for the day.

Comment

It is always nice to see the lesser desktops babystep the road paved by RH/Gnome.
          “Copyright © 2016 Red Hat, Inc”

🤷

Comment

How is a desktop environment tied to the packaging of an application?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              How is a desktop environment tied to the packaging of an application?
              Did you read the article? "Via Flatpak Portals, apps can access the file chooser, app chooser, printers, display notifications, etc. Of course, many of those items are rather desktop-specific if wanting to offer an integrated UI experience, so Grulich has been leading the charge on the KDE support."
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Did you read the article? "Via Flatpak Portals, apps can access the file chooser, app chooser, printers, display notifications, etc. Of course, many of those items are rather desktop-specific if wanting to offer an integrated UI experience, so Grulich has been leading the charge on the KDE support."
                I would even go further in that this cooperation from the DE (or at least some external component, in theory it could be a command-line one) is required to escape the sandbox. But yeah, that was explained in both the article and the blog post.

What I didn't get in the blog post, however, is that:

For gtk implementation you need xdg-desktop-portal-gtk and for KDE/Qt implementation you need xdg-desktop-portal-kde.
                Does it mean that you can use either (and have the related native control), or do you have to install both?
                I hope it's the former, and that they use the same d-bus names.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  Does it mean that you can use either (and have the related native control), or do you have to install both?
                  I hope it's the former, and that they use the same d-bus names.
                  xdg-desktop-portal-gtk and xdg-desktop-portal-kde are backend implementations of the xdg-desktop-portal DBus interfaces - so you will need only one, depending on your DE..

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

So instead of rpm, deb, whatever that is kind of distribution specific, now we get packaging that's DE specific? I gotta read more about this...

Comment

Working...
                    X