Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 10.0 Officially Released

Phoronix: PulseAudio 10.0 Officially Released

Well, that happened sooner than anticipated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This special meeting of the Lennart anti-fan club is hereby called to order. Or disorder, as the case may be...

On a more serious note, I was quite pleased to be able to figure out how to use JACK with PA, when I started messing about with JACK-based music/audio tools. What do the pros do--do they run their systems without PA at all?

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
      This special meeting of the Lennart anti-fan club is hereby called to order. Or disorder, as the case may be...

On a more serious note, I was quite pleased to be able to figure out how to use JACK with PA, when I started messing about with JACK-based music/audio tools. What do the pros do--do they run their systems without PA at all?
      I don't think pros use Linux for audio production.

Comment

You just need to install an extra package that will allow everything to work together. Basically, anything that works with JACK will use JACK, if not, it uses Pulse/ALSA->Jack (I think)

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

I don't think pros use Linux for audio production.
          Now now. I've successfully used Ardour from some work. Now I'm using Bitwig for most things ( admittedly more live performances than recording / production these days ).

Originally posted by Ido17
          What do the pros do--do they run their systems without PA at all?
          Pulse is great for what it's intended for. It's fine to have it on a pro-audio system. Just run your pro-audio app via pasuspender, which shuts down pulse for the lifetime of the app you launch. You can also manually kill pulse ( and set a flag to tell it to not respawn ). It's not a problem. Some people get a bee in their bonnet when presented with options ...
          Last edited by dkasak; 19 January 2017, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Every time I see a pulseaudio post it reminds me of klang. I wonder if there still are efforts (or desire at the very least) to a kernel based audio system somewhere out there.

Comment

What do the pros do--do they run their systems without PA at all?
              I use "pasuspend" to run my DAW, or even "sudo killall -9 pulseadio". I find that JACK works most reliably directly to ALSA, and also generally it's a nice way to kill sound from all other apps and make sure nothing interferes with your work.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Just run your pro-audio app via pasuspender, which shuts down pulse for the lifetime of the app you launch.
                One use case for writing pajackconnect was wanting to interoperate between non-JACK-using audio apps and JACK ones. For example, a friend wanted to have a setup where kids could sing/play along to a YouTube clip with synth effects, that kind of thing. The YouTube clip plays in a web browser, and web browsers don’t use JACK.

Comment

Well somebody sure is acting defensive... Lennart is known for presiding over projects with very buggy code, where feature creep progresses to extreme levels and have very careless attitude to bug reports ("We're not even going to bother with listing a bug unless it actually breaks something") so it's only natural people don't like that he still keeps presiding over projects as important as SystemD.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Well somebody sure is acting defensive... Lennart is known for presiding over projects with very buggy code, where feature creep progresses to extreme levels and have very careless attitude to bug reports ("We're not even going to bother with listing a bug unless it actually breaks something") so it's only natural people don't like that he still keeps presiding over projects as important as SystemD.
                    yaawwwnnnn

Comment

Working...
                    X