Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, Linux 4.9 Is A Long-Term Kernel Release

Phoronix: Yes, Linux 4.9 Is A Long-Term Kernel Release

It was widely expected that Linux 4.9 would be a "LTS" (Long Term Support) kernel release while now it's been made official...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The mailing list message makes me feel people bombarded him with emails asking if 4.9 will be LTS or 4.10 so he caved in and chose linux 4.9.
    Last edited by Guest; 19 January 2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Yes, exactly. I think 4.10 would have been a better choice.

Comment

Hmm, dont they plan their lts releases ahead?
        I think I remember reading Debian delayed their release to align with the 4.10 kernel for that reason

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          I think I remember reading Debian delayed their release to align with the 4.10 kernel for that reason
          Not always. They are seeing how it goes for 4.9, as in the past they had bad experiences when announcing "hey next is LTS". People would rush to get their work in that kernel as they know it will be LTS, and bad code ends up in the kernel.

Debian was delayed to allow for 4.10 to be included, assuming that 4.10 was going to be LTS. That assumption turned out to be wrong. And perhaps Debian 9 will then be based on 4.9 [1]. However, as dungeon pointed out, maybe Ubuntu 17.04 ends up based on kernel 4.10, and then Debian picks it up as the base kernel. It's up to the developers I guess. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Debian 9 with kernel 4.9.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-kern.../msg00099.html

Edit// just found this as well: https://lists.debian.org/debian-kern.../msg00133.html
          It seems Stretch will be based on 4.9 after all.
          Last edited by franglais125; 19 January 2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Yup at this time i think 4.9 perfectly matches for Ben and Debian 9... with that in mind 4.9 have chance to go into extended lts mode on kernel.org to say up to year 2022.

That is easy to guess, but no guarantee of course , as that also depends how and when future Debian releases will happen (quando paratus est) and how well current and next Debian LTS will go

Comment

I too thought 4.10 was going to be a LTS, and it was perfect for me having those nouveau improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                4.9 is long being planned to be lts, GKH said "4.9 == next LTS kernel." half a year ago here:

https://plus.google.com/+gregkroahha...ts/DjCWwSo7kqY

This now is just to make it clear once again how plan is not changed.
                Last edited by dungeon; 19 January 2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

4.9 is long being planned to be lts, GKH said "4.9 == next LTS kernel." half a year ago here:

https://plus.google.com/+gregkroahha...ts/DjCWwSo7kqY

This now is just to make it clear once again how plan is not changed.
                  Do you by any chance know what will be the next lts?

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
                    Do you by any chance know what will be the next lts?
                    You mean after this 4.9? Any next can be lts kernel - if someone else ask and decide to maintain it.

GKH won't mark for his maintance nothing soon again, probably in a year or so
                    Last edited by dungeon; 19 January 2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X