Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 51 Released With FLAC Audio Support, WebGL 2.0 By Default

Phoronix: Firefox 51 Released With FLAC Audio Support, WebGL 2.0 By Default

Firefox 51.0 just hit Mozilla's FTP servers for those wanting the latest version of this open-source web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad its finally here, but why it took so long for an open source web browser to implement an open source audio codec?? The WINE folks could have reverse engineered some Windows DLL's faster than this. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      Glad its finally here, but why it took so long for an open source web browser to implement an open source audio codec?? The WINE folks could have reverse engineered some Windows DLL's faster than this. LOL
      Some of it has to do with how unlikely it is for Microsoft or Apple to implement it. MS because they're lazy, and Apple because they hate standards and want to see them fail.

On a personal level, I would be happy that it's here, but it's not in Chromium so practically speaking it's not "here" for me.

Comment

this release seems to be a good improvement

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Some of it has to do with how unlikely it is for Microsoft or Apple to implement it. MS because they're lazy, and Apple because they hate standards and want to see them fail.

On a personal level, I would be happy that it's here, but it's not in Chromium so practically speaking it's not "here" for me.
          in fact windows appears more and more a deprecated operating system. I don't know apple but this evidence shows that it is also limited.

Comment

wayland and video hw accel please :/

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              why it took so long for an open source web browser to implement an open source audio codec??
              Priorities... I use FLAC all of the time in my personal music collection, but I never found myself wishing for support for it in a browser.

Comment

I don't understand the reason for which firefox team doesn't abandon ANGLE for WEBGL also on microsoft operating systems. Currently webgl is preferable also on these operating systems.

Comment

Thankfully the next ESR release is 52 which means I can have my add ons working for another 2 months. Then I will hate Mozilla again. God damn them.

It's perhaps the 50th time they are breaking add ons in a major way. Also, Australis!

No wonder their market share is around 6% nowadays. They deserve it. You do not f*ck with your userbase.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Thankfully the next ESR release is 52 which means I can have my add ons working for another 2 months. Then I will hate Mozilla again. God damn them.

It's perhaps the 50th time they are breaking add ons in a major way. Also, Australis!

No wonder their market share is around 6% nowadays. They deserve it. You do not f*ck with your userbase.
                    I hope that all mozilla add-ons will be put out.

Comment

Working...
                    X