Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch David Airlie Talk About Vulkan & RADV From LCA2017

Phoronix: Watch David Airlie Talk About Vulkan & RADV From LCA2017

Last week at Linux.Conf.Au 2017 was a presentation by David Airlie, the Linux kernel DRM subsystem maintainer, Red Hat developer, and RADV Vulkan driver developer, among other hats. At this year's Linux conference in Australia he gave a nice presentation on Vulkan and the RADV driver work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"We have a benchmark from Phoronix, which is not the most reliable site, but in one benchmark that he got running we were faster than the AMD driver. I didn't trust it but I'm willing to take any win at this point."
    - David Airlie @ 37:14

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
      "We have a benchmark from Phoronix, which is not the most reliable site, but in one benchmark that he got running we were faster than the AMD driver. I didn't trust it but I'm willing to take any win at this point."
      - David Airlie @ 37:14
      Any publicity is good publicity

Comment

Interesting video. David Airlie didn't quite put it that way, but he appears to say that Vulkan is a good fit for Linux, as the successor to OpenGL in the future (not just as an additional API).

Comment

Great talk David. I didn't make it to LCA this year, so I've got a lot of videos to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
            Interesting video. David Airlie didn't quite put it that way, but he appears to say that Vulkan is a good fit for Linux, as the successor to OpenGL in the future (not just as an additional API).
            Of course it is … it's royalty-free (though certification will cost you unless you are a significant OSS project like Mesa), it's portable, easy to implement (so less barrier for open source implementations as seen in the video with RADV) and leaves less room for drivers to hide „secret sauce” which generally benefits closed-source implementations.

Comment

The hypocrite. First he sides with ATI on destroying a proper open source display driver, then he acts like the big savior a few years down the road, when ATI is unpopular once again. Unbelievable. Powerplay all the way.

Comment

If NIR is converted to LLVM IR before optimisation is applied, why NIR is needed in the first place? It is better to convert SPIRV to LLVM IR directly, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  I did found one bug
                  link?

Comment

Good sportsmanship by Michael posting this even though he dissed Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                    X