NVIDIA Issues Vulkan Linux Driver Beta With The New 1.0.39 Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Issues Vulkan Linux Driver Beta With The New 1.0.39 Extensions

Phoronix: NVIDIA Issues Vulkan Linux Driver Beta With The New 1.0.39 Extensions

NVIDIA has continued in their much-appreciated tradition of issuing new beta drivers on the same day as Khronos updates OpenGL/Vulkan. Out already for Windows and Linux gamers/developers are a beta driver implementing the new Vulkan 1.0.39 extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, that was fast

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Well, that was fast
      Yes, and it is what people here call "most Linux hostile vendor"...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

In the Linux community, the more you do, the more you get shit on. The community is toxic.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

In the Linux community, the more you do, the more you get shit on. The community is toxic.
          I wouldn't say toxic, because this community makes one of the greatest products ever. Diverse, "passionate" and full of egos seems more appropriate. Then again, this isn't something specific to the Linux community, it's just the way people are.

Comment

I think it's more 'not open source friendly' than 'most linux hostile vendor', for actual legit reasons (look how long it took them to give us maxwell support for one, but yeah the main reason is that open source software devs usually need documentation on the hardware to successfully create drivers which gives them some shit and some numbers/ids i know nothing about, without them you basically have to guess in the dark what numbers to put in for the hardware ids which can work for some hardware that's simple (like keyboards) but it's basically impossible for something as complex as a gpu, or something along these lines).

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
              How would you call a vendor that does not follow the rules?

We have already Windows where we can use closed-source blobs and it works fine already.

Why u want turn Linux in crappier Windows, bro?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Nvidia web site for the driver download is hostile, default is linux 32-bit.
                Meh, all times I try to download drivers from NVIDIA it offers me the goddamn Solaris driver as first even when I'm on windows. I always blamed the browser though as I have an "armored" firefox that blocks scripts and other bullshit, so probably the NVIDIA site can't detect my system.

AMD site is somewhat better but not by much.

Comment

Nvidia web site for the driver download is hostile, default is linux 32-bit. When updating a Debian testing Xfce computer, I did download wrong version because of bad web site design and needed to download correct driver via ftp from another computer. Many other people do not have other computers and it could be a nightmare situation. With amdgpu driver, it is easier to create a custom Debian kernel package. With the grub you can test different kernels easily.
                  I'd say you downloaded the wrong version because you weren't paying attention. And if you were using Ubuntu, you wouldn't have had to download the driver yourself
                  By your own logic, we can say Nvidia's site for driver download is also Windows hostile, because it defaults to Win7 when I'm on Win10...

Comment

Nvidia web site for the driver download is hostile, default is linux 32-bit. When updating a Debian testing Xfce computer, I did download wrong version because of bad web site design and needed to download correct driver via ftp from another computer. Many other people do not have other computers and it could be a nightmare situation. With amdgpu driver, it is easier to create a custom Debian kernel package. With the grub you can test different kernels easily.
                    I did not visit this site for years now. I install distro, prompted for a driver install, click "yes".

Of course it is not included in the kernel like Amdgpu but the driver is always stable and fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X