Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 7.0 Lands The BRIG Frontend For AMD's HSA

Phoronix: GCC 7.0 Lands The BRIG Frontend For AMD's HSA

GCC 7 move on to only bug/documentation fixes but an exception was granted to allow the BRIG front-end to land for AMD's HSA support in this year's GNU Compiler Collection update. As of this morning, the BRIG front-end has merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The stars are finally aligning for AMD and their HSA foundation effort

Comment

I hope this will bring things up to speed in that area. I bet especially small APUs would benefit visibly for the user from code that also uses the GPU for certain operations.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        I hope this will bring things up to speed in that area. I bet especially small APUs would benefit visibly for the user from code that also uses the GPU for certain operations.
        As I understanding it's better to rely on clover for now, because Llano, Ontario, Zacate, Desna, Hondo, Trinity and Richland doesn't support HSA specification, Carrizo support is limited in ROCm (but this will be addressed) and state of Kabini, Temash, Beema, Mullins and Kaveri support is unclear from ROCm readme (I guess Kaveri can run HSA stuff but without QoS for context switching; no idea about Kabini/Temash/Beema/Mullins). I also need to mention that amdkfd kernel module is upstreamed and loading (even on Llano, as I see ) and ROCm is easier to get up and running, because there is packages.amd.com repository now.
        Hopefully someone will pick up clover and finish this project for APUs with TeraScale-based GPU
        Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 24 January 2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          As I understanding it's better to rely on clover for now, because Llano, Ontario, Zacate, Desna, Hondo, Trinity and Richland doesn't support HSA specification, Carrizo support is limited in ROCm (but this will be addressed) and state of Kabini, Temash, Beema, Mullins and Kaveri support is unclear from ROCm readme (I guess Kaveri can run HSA stuff but without QoS for context switching; no idea about Kabini/Temash/Beema/Mullins). I also need to mention that amdkfd kernel module is upstreamed and loading (even on Llano, as I see ) and ROCm is easier to get up and running, because there is packages.amd.com repository now.
          Hopefully someone will pick up clover and finish this project for APUs with TeraScale-based GPU
          First up - Nicely researched post! full of interesting information

Second - I am sure this year will bring lots of shiny open source offload presents from our mates at AMD

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: GCC 7.0 Lands The BRIG Frontend For AMD's HSA

GCC 7 move on to only bug/documentation fixes but an exception was granted to allow the BRIG front-end to land for AMD's HSA support in this year's GNU Compiler Collection update. As of this morning, the BRIG front-end has merged...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CC7-BRIG-Lands
            Typo:
            BRING -> BRIG
            This BRING front-end

Comment

Working...
            X