10-bit HEVC Decoding Support Being Worked On For RadeonSI Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-bit HEVC Decoding Support Being Worked On For RadeonSI Gallium3D

Phoronix: 10-bit HEVC Decoding Support Being Worked On For RadeonSI Gallium3D

AMD developer Christian König is working on 10-bit HEVC video decoding support for the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does radeonsi support any h.265 hardware decoding at all right now? The few videos I've seen in h.265/HEVC seem to eat up a lot of cpu power.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
      Does radeonsi support any h.265 hardware decoding at all right now? The few videos I've seen in h.265/HEVC seem to eat up a lot of cpu power.
      did you try with fiji or later?

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
        Yeah, Fiji and Polaris do. H.265 should actually be easier to decode for the same video quality as H.264. That being said, on the encode side it is a lot more CPU intensive.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to 10 bit decode. It is actually one of the things I was excited for when I got my RX 480. Now if only AMDGPU would support anything other than 8 BPC...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            did you try with fiji or later?
            Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            Yeah, Fiji and Polaris do. H.265 should actually be easier to decode for the same video quality as H.264. That being said, on the encode side it is a lot more CPU intensive.
            Ahhhh, I have a Pitcairn gpu, not exactly bleeding edge. So the newer hardware supports it. Thats good to know as I'm looking towards upgrading to Vega this year.

Comment

Wow, that's very nice, I have lots of movies encoded in 10-bit HEVC.

Comment

The only value I can see in this is allowing for higher levels of brightness. But that would allow your TV/monitor to dazzle you.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                  The only value I can see in this is allowing for higher levels of brightness. But that would allow your TV/monitor to dazzle you.
                  The real value is to reduce color banding IMO. You get no real perceptible color banding on 10 bit. You are right though, 10 bit is also a prerequisite for HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                    The only value I can see in this is allowing for higher levels of brightness
                    for higher level of brightness all you need is brighter backlight. this in contrast can allow less difference between consecutive colors

Comment

Working...
                    X