Wine-Staging 2.0 Rolls Out For Experimental Users: Vulkan, D3D11, Etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 2.0 Rolls Out For Experimental Users: Vulkan, D3D11, Etc

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 2.0 Rolls Out For Experimental Users: Vulkan, D3D11, Etc

Based off the just-released Wine 2.0 is now the Wine-Staging 2.0 release with its many experimental/testing patches carried atop the upstream Wine code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My sense, which could be wildly wrong, is that the Wine project made slow but steady progress for the last five or ten years but is actually picking up speed.

I am not a serious gamer, the only PC game not native for Linux that I care a lot about is Starcraft 2. That's requires a little bit of fiddling with your Wine settings to set up, but then it runs fine.

It would be fantastic and funny if the Wine project reaches a point of code maturity such that it, and not SteamOS, is what starts pulling gamers off Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      It would be fantastic and funny if the Wine project reaches a point of code maturity such that it, and not SteamOS, is what starts pulling gamers off Windows.
      Well, game developers can leverage Wine to "port" their games; some already do.

Comment

I wonder if ARK Survival would run in this with D3D11 given the Linux port is limited to OpenGL 3.3 so lacks some graphical effects found in the Windows version. Not that it will run well. It doesn't run well on anything...

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
          I wonder if ARK Survival would run in this with D3D11 given the Linux port is limited to OpenGL 3.3 so lacks some graphical effects found in the Windows version. Not that it will run well. It doesn't run well on anything...
          Well besides long loading times and some occational graphic-glitches (the known black/trippy dust/rain and the "spikes" from crops also found in the windows-version) it actually runs pretty well on my setup - compared to the first time i tested it on linux that is a huge improvement ^^

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

It would be pretty neat if steam had some sort of experimental support for wine, rather than resorting to something like https://github.com/sirnuke/steamfootbridge, which AFAIK is still being worked on.

Comment

We need more official WINE ports. If it comes to me I think Valve should throw a lot of money and manpower at Wine and make it default porting platform for all the games prior Vulkan and encourage native ports for Vulkan games. Imagine a world where there are no system icons on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

Well besides long loading times and some occational graphic-glitches (the known black/trippy dust/rain and the "spikes" from crops also found in the windows-version) it actually runs pretty well on my setup - compared to the first time i tested it on linux that is a huge improvement ^^
                Native or in wine? Amd cards don't run it so fast native atm.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

You forgot the textureless/flat trees.

Sure, framerates are 'OK' but I've experienced other things like trouble finding a non-official server to play on recently (would 'connect' then return to menu for most of them), had a lot of 'rubber band' effect on some servers, etc. I agree that it's got better since it was first ported, though.

Compare the Linux version with screenshots of the Windows version and you'll see what I mean about graphical effects.

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

It would be wonderful if they could flatpack them! no need to install wine before to run things. double click -> it works!

Comment

Working...
                    X