Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking The Linux Kernel With LLVM's LLD Linker

Phoronix: Linking The Linux Kernel With LLVM's LLD Linker

If you are looking for some experimental fun this weekend, the Linux kernel can be linked with LLVM's LLD linker...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

but can it build lernel modules?
    if yes this is already supperior to gold

Comment

It's unfortunate that it doesn't work yet, but I'm glad people are looking into it. I'd say that building a working Linux kernel is the last big milestone before the LLVM toolchain can be considered a true alternative to gcc/binutils on Linux rather than just being used in addition to gcc/binutils.

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
        I'd say that building a working Linux kernel is the last big milestone before the LLVM toolchain can be considered a true alternative to gcc/binutils on Linux rather than just being used in addition to gcc/binutils.
        Linux kernel can't be linked w/ GNU gold linker, and can't be built using LTO (but WIP AFAIK).
        So it's kernel's problem, and another big milestone for it. Because developers must write code suitable for optimizations, but not optimizer to collect ultimate library of hacks/corrections.

Comment

Working...
        X