Icculus: EmScripten Audio Conversion Performance In The Web Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icculus: EmScripten Audio Conversion Performance In The Web Browser

Phoronix: Icculus: EmScripten Audio Conversion Performance In The Web Browser

Linux game porter and SDL developer Ryan "Icculus" Gordon has shared some performance measurements when bringing SDL's new audio conversion support within web-browsers using EmScripten...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

EmScripten scares me.

Comment

Why? It's an interesting project. Should help for example compiling Rust into WebAssembly.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Why? It's an interesting project. Should help for example compiling Rust into WebAssembly.
        This would be awesome!

Comment

Speaking of WebAssembly, I'd much rather see this test when converted to that rather than JavaScript.

Comment

I agree that it is interesting. It's just the
            "Take a C/C++ program and turn it into javascript to run in a browser. What could possibly go wrong?" that scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              Speaking of WebAssembly, I'd much rather see this test when converted to that rather than JavaScript.
              Emscripten converts to asm.js, which is a subset of JavaScript pretty similar to WebAssembly (infact, WebAssembly was inspired by asm.js).

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              "Take a C/C++ program and turn it into javascript to run in a browser. What could possibly go wrong?" that scares me.
              Well, it's already been done with several large projects and it's worked pretty well (see Unity, Unreal Engine, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by marco-c View Post
                Emscripten converts to asm.js, which is a subset of JavaScript pretty similar to WebAssembly (infact, WebAssembly was inspired by asm.js).
                It's not fully ready yet, but Emscripten already has experimental support for WebAssembly target, and Rust input. See:
                * https://users.rust-lang.org/t/compil...mscripten/7627
                * https://blog.rust-lang.org/2016/12/22/Rust-1.14.html

Comment

It's not fully ready yet, but Emscripten already has experimental support for WebAssembly target, and Rust input. See:
                  * https://users.rust-lang.org/t/compil...mscripten/7627
                  * https://blog.rust-lang.org/2016/12/22/Rust-1.14.html
                  Yes, what I was trying to say is that the result of Icculus' benchmarks are not about pure JavaScript, but of something really close to WebAssembly.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Nobody really wants native code programs these days. Native performance scares them. If you compare those numbers to the OpenCL benchmarks with Intel CPUs, emscripten / asm.js is like buying a $350 CPU (i7 7700k) and executing programs like you had a $60 CPU (Pentium G4400). What a great way to waste power.
                    Last edited by caligula; 29 January 2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X