Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Spilling Support Patches Published

Phoronix: RADV Spilling Support Patches Published

Bas Nieuwenhuizen has posted some new feature patches this weekend for the RADV Radeon Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great work! Thanks, Bas and Dave!

Are there any known missing features for Dota 2 or is it mainly performance and bug fixes left?

Comment

What the spilling do? Google gave me random results, like Guinness record

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        What the spilling do? Google gave me random results, like Guinness record
        Spilling is when not all the shader date fits in registers and the data "spills" over to memory. i.e. we have to allocate abuffer there and instruct the shader to store some of its temporary date there. Often very slow, but sometimes it just doesn't fit.

ResponseWriter: No missing features for dota2 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
          Great work! Thanks, Bas and Dave!

Are there any known missing features for Dota 2 or is it mainly performance and bug fixes left?
          DOTA 2 seems basically complete to me. I've run it a fair few times and it looks visually correct and hasn't crashed. I believe DOTA 2 was one of the first things they got working.

Comment

Good stuff, radv is iterating fast.

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post

Spilling is when not all the shader date fits in registers and the data "spills" over to memory. i.e. we have to allocate abuffer there and instruct the shader to store some of its temporary date there. Often very slow, but sometimes it just doesn't fit.
              Thanks for the reply, now I see how important this patches were

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post

ResponseWriter: No missing features for dota2 IIRC.
                So, can we expect this feature to actually have a negative impact in performance, for the games that need/use it?

Comment

Yes, but the alternative is shaders not running, so overall it's still an improvement. AFAIK spilling is only done when required to run the app.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

DOTA 2 seems basically complete to me. I've run it a fair few times and it looks visually correct and hasn't crashed. I believe DOTA 2 was one of the first things they got working.
                    Maybe, but there were definitely visual bugs when I last tried it. However, I'm on CIK so not officially supported by AMDGPU. I'll give it another go now.

Edit: Results in a total hang for me (black screen with mouse pointer). Only way to fix is hard reset. This may be worth looking into further.
                    Last edited by ResponseWriter; 30 January 2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X