Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Mesa Work Coming Out Of Imagination Tech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Mesa Work Coming Out Of Imagination Tech?

Phoronix: More Mesa Work Coming Out Of Imagination Tech?

While many Phoronix readers cringe when hearing "Imagination Tech" or "PowerVR" due to past Linux driver issues and the lack of a full-featured open-source driver, one of their developers is now requesting commit rights to Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So maybe I will order a Pyra after all? I won't if I have to stick with proprietary drivers for graphics, so time will tell - it'll be very interesting to see if IT releases anything.

Comment

Wow, open GPU drivers for my Zenfone2 would be a dream... everything else already runs pretty well on Linux due to the x86 SOC used.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
        So maybe I will order a Pyra after all? I won't if I have to stick with proprietary drivers for graphics, so time will tell - it'll be very interesting to see if IT releases anything.
        smach Z seems more interesting

Comment

Nice trick to lie users...

Maybe they'll just add basic support.

In the best case, they only have ONE developer! They need a team of people, maybe 5-10 developers at least. And they need to contribute fast to catch something usable in less than six months.

In the best case, they are going to need one year to make it equivalent to usable drivers and even a lot more to keep pace with AMD.

This can be another experiment like VIA...

No more lies, Imagination Tech...

Comment

powervr gpus are hardly ever used in phones anymore except for iphones, that could change if they open source their gpu drivers, it would also make their mips processors more desirable. Lets hope this happens, would love a raspberry pi 4 with a powervr gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Nice trick to lie users...

This can be another experiment like VIA...

No more lies, Imagination Tech...
              Well they do not lie, even in their name : thanks to them you can Imagine Linux support.

Comment

Maybe they finally make working driver for Intel GMA3600 that supports anything besides Windows 7 x86 and Ubuntu 12.04 i386?

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                  powervr gpus are hardly ever used in phones anymore except for iphones, that could change if they open source their gpu drivers, it would also make their mips processors more desirable. Lets hope this happens, would love a raspberry pi 4 with a powervr gpu.
                  Asus uses it in the ZenPhone 2.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                    Mediatek has announced they'll use PowerVR for their Helio-X30 SoC, most likely the IP will be used in lower-end Socs as well. And Mediatek means volume / market share...

Comment

Working...
                    X