No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi Gallium3D Driver Continues To Be Tweaked For Greater Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Gallium3D Driver Continues To Be Tweaked For Greater Performance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Gallium3D Driver Continues To Be Tweaked For Greater Performance

Eric Anholt continues working on the open-source VC4 graphics driver stack for adding additional features and improving the OpenGL performance of the Broadcom GPU on the Raspberry Pi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has any distribution yet released 64-bit images for RPi3? I've been waiting for one for quite a long time.
    I was craazy enough to try out (unoffical) 64-bit Gentoo image on it. While it works, there's lot of missing functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
      Has any distribution yet released 64-bit images for RPi3? I've been waiting for one for quite a long time.
      I was craazy enough to try out (unoffical) 64-bit Gentoo image on it. While it works, there's lot of missing functionality.
      OpenSUSE
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Arch Linux also has some support for 64bit kernel. See the AArch64 section at the bottom at https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/a...raspberry-pi-3

Comment

Is there a way to use Raspberry Pi Gallium3D Driver without recompiling the kenel?

I tried using Gallium VC4 driver on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B last month (29 December 2016) with latest Raspbian. I used raspi-config to enable the driver and confirmed it was loaded via glxinfo. My system locked up after about 5 minutes of just using google chrome and terminal. After switching back to the default driver my system was stable once again. I am aware of https://github.com/anholt/mesa/wiki/...spbian-upgrade just have not gotten around to trying this method.

Eric, thanks for taking the time to document and blog.

Comment

Yeah, backports! Backports rocks.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Are there really no 64 bit Debian or Ubuntu images for it? Usually they're quick to support platforms this popular.

Anyway as has already been stated, Arch should support it, likely under the "Generic" category. I'm so happy ARM is shifting towards generic kernels; the one thing I have always hated about ARM was how much each device varies in terms of how to configure them, how they boot, what kernels are available, etc. ARM would've gained much more popularity years ago if you didn't need a different disk image for every device and every variant of that device.

Comment

I'm familiar with Arch, but it's too bleeding-edge for a OS that uses systemd (In my experience). And I haven't used _any_ SUSE distro... But I sure could try it.
                Thanks for the tips. \o

Comment

Working...
                X